Catalogue of Simmons College, 1909-1910 Page: 6
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
SIMMONS COLLEGE CATALOGUE
The Board of Trustees decided in 1891, by a unanimous vote,
to give the institution, which had been chartered as the Abilene
Baptist College, the name of its largest donor and to call it
Simmons College. At his death, Dr. Simmons bequeathed to the
College the residue of his estate, valued at about $80,000.00. Dr.
Simmons' interest in the College was shared by other members
of his family. Mrs. Mary E. Simmons, his wife, was a liberal
contributor until her death, and his son, Dr. Roberts S. Simmons,
also of New York, is second only to his father in his generosity
to the College.
The first session began in September, 1892, Rev. W. C. Friley
being president. Dr. Friley resigned in 1894 and was succeeded
by Dr. Thatcher, under whose administration of four years, substantial
progress was made.
Dr. Thatcher was succeeded by Dr. Pope, who had been interested
in the College from its beginning. Dr. Pope's coming
to Simmons College was largely due to the wish of Dr. Simmons
himself. As organizer, preacher, educator and financier, he had
won wide and deserved reputation. He seemed to be an ideal
man for the place. But his health had failed in his New York
office sometime before and, although it seemed to be restored
by several years of travel, the stress of the many-sided work in
the College proved too arduous, and after three years of service,
forced his resignation. He died within the year after.
In 1901 Rev. Lee R. Scarborough was called to the pastorate
of the First Baptist Church in Abilene and shortly afterward
became a member of the Board of Trustees of Simmons College.
A graduate of Baylor and of Yale, he became at once an active
factor in building up the College in all its interests. In June
1902, Dr. Oscar H. Cooper, who had served Texas as Superintendent
of Public Instruction and the denomination as President
of Baylor University, succeeded to the presidency. A strong faculty
was selected, the standard of scholarship was raised and
during the next year the enrollment of students increased nearly
one hundred per cent.
In 1903 a new dormitory was erected and named Anna Hall
in honor of the only daughter of Dr. Robert S. Simmons, of New
York, who made a generous donation for the building.
In 1906 the College received notice of the bequest made by
Dr. Simmons heretofore mentioned.
Here’s what’s next.
This book can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Book.
Simmons College (Abilene, Tex.). Catalogue of Simmons College, 1909-1910, book, 1910; Abilene, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth41687/m1/8/: accessed July 22, 2018), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Hardin-Simmons University Library.