Heritage, Winter 2004 Page: 25
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
Galveston Island. 1837 manuscript map by R.. Trimble and William Lindsey Courtesy of the Texas General Land Office
Galveston Island. 1837 manuscript map by R.C. Trimble and William Lindsey. Courtesy of the Texas General Land Office.
This Galveston Island map was drawn by surveyors R. C. Trimble and William Lindsey in 1837, just a year after Texas declared
its independence from Mexico. This document is still used today by General Land Office staff for questions concerning the original
The purpose of this map was to show the lot and block system for the sale of the larger western part of the island by Edward Hall
and Levi Jones. These demarcations are still the basis for the current land ownership system on that part of the island.
M.B. Menard, attorney for Juan N. Seguin, had received a grant from the legislature for the city of Galveston at the far east end
of the island. This map shows the area for the city with the custom house, store, and Fort Reserve.
The vibrant red and green colors are original pigment placed on the map when it was originally drawn more than 165
This historic map was conserved in 2000 with donations to the General Land Office's Adopt-a-Map program from Texas Land
Title Surveyors in Galveston.
Check out the Texas GLO's on-line historic map collection at www.glo.state.tx.us/archives/mapscol.html. Reprints of many of
the maps are available for purchase.
HERITAGE E WINTER 2004
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas Historical Foundation. Heritage, Winter 2004, periodical, Winter 2004; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth45372/m1/25/: accessed September 24, 2018), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas Historical Foundation.