Heritage, Summer 2004 Page: 21
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
undermined the family's wealth.(8) Pat died in 1929, and since
his wife, brother, and daughter were no longer living by that time,
his nephew, Frank Donegan managed the failing finances of the
Landergins. He mortgaged the house and its grounds, which finally
had to be sold. A wealthy independent oilman, D.D.
Harrington and his wife Sybil purchased the house and seven lots
for $30,000 on October 22, 1940 (9).
"Don" and Sybil Harrington lived in the home and enjoyed
filling it with antiques-18th- and 19th-century French furniture
and decorative ceramics from China, for example. After her
husband's death, Sybil donated the house to the PanhandlePlains
Historical Museum. Through the generosity of the
Harringtons, the Harrington House Foundation, a branch of the
Amarillo Area Foundation, now operates the site as a historic
house museum. Visitors to the home are able to tour its rooms
and view the decorative arts collection of the late Don and Sybil
Just as the Landergin family had built the home on the success
of the cattle industry, so the Harringtons continued to maintain
the residence based upon the prosperity of the oil business. The
Landergin-Harrington house represents the "symmetry" of the
two economies-cattle and oil-that have developed the Texas
Panhandle, making the story of the house and its owners a vital
one to tell. *
Guests 14 years of age and older may take the docent-guided tour of
the building and grounds on Tuesdays and Thursdays. One-hour tours
begin on the half-hour from 10:00 a.m. until 12:30 pm. There is no
charge for the tour, which is limited to four visitors.
Cynthia Brandimarte, Ph.D., is senior advisor for historic sites for the
State Parks Division at Texas Parks & Wildlife Department in Austin.
She is the author of the award-winning book, Inside Texas: Culture,
Identity, and Houses, 1878-1920.
1. Letter from E.S. Berry to his daughter Marianne B. Garland,
December 8, 1940.
2. Potter County Deed Records, vol. 52, page 69; vol. 52 p. 70;
vol. 66, p. 593; vol. 101, p. 570.
3. James Oren Palmer, "A History of the Landergin Brothers
Company Ranch" (Master's thesis, West Texas State University,
4. Minnie Timms Harper, "Landergins and Harringtons Kept
Famous LS on Map," Amarillo Sunday News and Globe, 14 August
1938, sec. E, p. 27.
5. Mrs. Grady Nobles, interview by author, Amarillo, Texas,
14 December 1983; and Mr. Clarence Williams, interview by
author, Amarillo, Texas, 15 January 1984.
6. Etna M. Kelley, The Business Founding Date Directory
(Scarsdale, New York: Morgan and Morgan, 1954), 68.
7. William Hughes Seewalk, "The Landergin Mansion,"
unpublished paper, 1969, p. 46.
8. Palmer, p. 72.
9. Potter County Deed Records, vol. 300, pp. 550-552.
PANHANDLE-PLAINS HISTORICAL MUSEUM
PRESERVING THE PAST
FOR FUTURE GENERATIONS A
HERITAGE SUMMER 2004
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas Historical Foundation. Heritage, Summer 2004, periodical, Summer 2004; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth45373/m1/21/: accessed October 17, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas Historical Foundation.