Texas Heritage, Summer 2001 Page: 15
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
Mural at Red River
AMERICAN WIND POWER CENTER
The American Wind Power Center is a
28-acre museum for the early Americanstyle
Opened in 1998, the museum, which
has one of the largest collections of
water-pumping windmills in the world,
has more than 50 rare and fully restored
windmills on display in a new 28,000square-foot
interpretive center building.
Outdoors in the Lineberry Windmill
Park, working windmills are erected on
full towers with pumps and tanks, while
other windmills are being erected at the
rate of one or two per month.
Many of the windmills on display date
from the 1870s, '80s, and '90s; they range
in size from 4-1/2 feet in wheel diameter
to 25 feet. Most have wooden wheels and
tails that have been restored with original
Located on East 19th Street, one mile
from Interstate 27, (806) 747-8734;
People worldwide recognize Texas for
its ranching heritage, and no where else
is this tradition as strongly heralded as it
is at the National Ranching Heritage
Center in Lubbock. Established to preserve
the history of ranching, pioneer
life, and the development of the livestock
industry in North America, the
center contains more than 35 relocated
and restored historic ranch structures.
Tracing the evolution of ranch life from
the late 1700s through 1920, many of
the buildings were once part of famous
Texas ranches that played important
roles in the development of modern
ranching such as the Matador, 6666,
XIT, and King ranches.
Visitors to the National Ranching
Heritage Center will see Los Corralitos
(circa 1783), a single-room home with
33-inch thick walls, which was originally
located in Zapata County and may be the
earliest standing ranch building in Texas.
Other structures include a dog-trot log
cabin; dugouts, a common architectural
form adopted by early settlers on the
plains because trees were scarce; a oneroom
schoolhouse; and an Eclipse
Located at Texas Tech University,
3121 4th Street, (806) 742-0498;
www. ttu. edu/RanchingHeritageCenter
CARSON COUNTY SQUARE
Considered one of the best small museums
in the United States, the Carson
County Square House Museum embodies
all that is the Texas Panhandle. From the
mammoth hunters of 12,000 years ago,
though the Indian Wars, to cattle ranches
and 19th-century railroads, and the oil
boom of the 1920s - it can all be found at
this complex of 12 structures.
One of the buildings, the historic
Square House, is listed in the National
Register of the National Trust and dates
from the mid-1880s; its lumber was
hauled by ox cart from Dodge City,
Kansas. Another structure of particular
interest is the property's dugout dwelling,
complete with furnishings, that affords
the visitor a first-hand glimpse of pioneer
life on the Plains - an area with no stones
for building, no water for adobe, and no
railroad to deliver building supplies.
In addition to these historic buildings,
more than 10,000 artifacts are housed at
Located at the intersection of Texas
Highway 207 (Elsie Street) and Fifth
Street, (806) 537-3524;
www. squarehousemuseum. org
HERITAGE Ea SUMMER 2001
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas Historical Foundation. Texas Heritage, Summer 2001, periodical, Summer 2001; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth45385/m1/15/: accessed July 23, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas Historical Foundation.