Texas Heritage, Summer 2001 Page: 36
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
cotton land of the Brazos Valley from
their cotton plantation in Aberdeen,
Mississippi, and constructed the first half
of their home. Dr. Earle's plan was to
complete the second half of the house
after moving in, but unfortunately, he
passed away several months after that,
and the home was never completed. As a
result, the structure stands today as only
half of a house.
The decades following were unkind to
the grand old home, which fell into disrepair
and was threatened with demolition.
Through the efforts of two local residents,
though, the home was saved and
fully restored in 1970.
Today, five acres of beautiful gardens,
giant live oaks, and a lily pond-called
the Gardens on 5th Street-surround the
house. The view from the garden's double
gazebo is an ever-changing landscape of
colorful flowers, antique roses, vegetables,
and fragrant herbs.
1901 North Fifth Street, (817) 7532032;
www.carlalowe .com/eh/house .html
The McFaddin-Ward House was built
in 1905-1906 in the striking and distinctive
Beaux-Arts Colonial style. The
building and its furnishing reflect the
lifestyle of the prominent family that
lived in the house for 75 years.
The McFaddin's home, one of a number
of grand homes built in town during
the early 20th century, was a glittering
backdrop for the frequent and elegant
parties that the McFaddins hosted. In
1919, the McFaddin's daughter Mamie
married Carroll Ward, and the couple
moved into this home with her parents.
They lived their entire married life here,
making few changes to the house or its
Today, visitors to the house receive
guided tours of two lavishly furnished
floors of the home. Trained guides combine
family anecdotes and local history
with information about the house and its
furnishings to tell the story of the family
and the Texas region.
The McFaddin-Ward Carriage House
provides a behind-the-scenes look at the
operations of the McFaddin home during
the first half of the 20th century. Built in
1907, it originally housed a stable,
hayloft, garage, gymnasium, and quarters
for the servants. Visitors can now tour
these areas and view exhibits on servant
life, transportation, sports and recreation,
and the McFaddin's farms and ranches.
725 Third Street, (409) 832-2134
The Sterne-Hoya House, owned by
only two immigrant families since its
completion circa 1830, is believed to be
the oldest frame house in Texas of major
historical significance still standing as it
was originally built. Visitors are amazed
when they walk through the house to
learn of all the important people and
events in Texas history that are associated
with this structure. Built by German
immigrant Nicholas Adolphus Sterne for
his bride, Eva Catherine Rosine Ruff, the
structure is intricately tied to the history
of this state.
It is said that Sam Houston, the first
president of Texas and the first U.S. senator
from Texas, was baptized a Catholic
there. Alamo hero Davy Crockett spent
time in the home. Charles Standfield
Taylor, a signer of the Texas Declaration
of Independence, married Mrs. Sterne's
sister there. Chief Bowles of the
Cherokee Indians signed a peace treaty
in the house, promising that his braves
would not join the Mexicans against the
Army of Texas during the Revolution.
One of the two volunteer companies of
New Orleans Greys, recruited and armed
by Adolphus Sterne in New Orleans for
the Army of Texas, was entertained here
in November 1835 at a banquet given by
Sterne and citizens of Nacogdoches.
Most of the men died with Fannin at
Goliad and Travis at the Alamo, their
flag becoming the famous "Flag of the
Another German immigrant and
Nacogdoches settler Joseph von der
Hoya bought the historic house in 1869
from Mrs. Sterne.
211 South Lanana, (936) 560-5426
Heritage House was built in 1902 by
J.O. Sims and occupied by members of
his family from the date of its construction
until 1977, when it was sold to the
City of Orange. The city donated it to
The Heritage House of Orange County
Association Inc., which assumed financial
responsibility for the building and
moved it to its present site. Listed on the
National Register of Historic Homes and
designated as a Recorded Texas Historic
Landmark, the house contains many of
the original furnishings and art, donated
by the Sims family.
The home depicts a typical upper middle-class
home from the turn-of-the-century
through the 1940s. It is two stories
tall and constructed of prime native pine
with a finished attic, balustrade porches,
five fireplaces, and a slate roof.
Educational programs are held
throughout the year at the Heritage
House to teach elementary and intermediate
school children about life 100 years
ago. The youngsters have a chance to
churn butter and watch spinners,
weavers, and other crafts people at work.
Adjacent to the Heritage House is the
Heritage History Museum where there
are displays from the Indian era to the
present. Displays feature early settlers of
the area and relics from the lumber, ship
building, cattle farming, and rice industries-all
of which were important to the
economy of the area.
905 W. Division St.,(409) 886-5385
HERITAGE E SUMMER 2001
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas Historical Foundation. Texas Heritage, Summer 2001, periodical, Summer 2001; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth45385/m1/36/: accessed August 17, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas Historical Foundation.