Heritage, Volume 18, Number 2, Spring 2000 Page: 30
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
Nuestra Sefiora del Refugio Church at Guerrero Viejo; image by Eugene George, architect.
"Guerrero is a fine looking and well constructed town, situated on the northern
bank of the Salado. The houses are built of a kind of marble or stone, with flat roofs,
surrounded by a wall. The streets and public squares (of which there are two) are well
laid off, and the whole place presents an appearance of elegance and neatness. There is
one cathedral in the place and several large public buildings. The inhabitants have fine
gardens and throughout the place there are numerous groves of orange trees, that give it
a most luxuriant and smiling appearance...."
This is the description of the town of Guerrero, on the Mexican side of the
Rio Grande River, given by a member of the Somervell Expedition in 1842.
HERITAGE * 30 * SPRING 2000
Photo, by Dr. Raul Vela, of the church before inundation
by the Falcon Reservoir. Reprinted with permission of
the Texas A&M International University.
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas Historical Foundation. Heritage, Volume 18, Number 2, Spring 2000, periodical, Spring 2000; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth45390/m1/30/: accessed May 25, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas Historical Foundation.