Heritage, Volume 15, Number 1, Winter 1997 Page: 23
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
HISTORICAL PHOTOGRAPHS FROM THE ARCHIVES OF TEXAS MUSEUMS
The Museum of East Texas, Lufkin
The Museum of East Texas was founded
as the Lufkin Historical and Creative Arts
Center by the Junior League of Lufkin and
was dedicated in January 1976 as a Bicentennial
project. The Museum was originally
housed in the old St. Cyprian's Episcopal
Church, which had been gutted by
fire in 1969. The Junior League and other
interested citizens leased the land from the
city of Lufkin for the purposes of establishing
a creative arts center. Through their
efforts, the Lufkin Historical and Creative
Arts Center was chartered under state law
and received its tax exempt certification
on January 23, 1975. Major renovations
were completed by volunteers in December
1975, and the Museum opened to the
public on January 20, 1976. In the beginning,
exhibits were shown in the old church
sanctuary but between 1976 and 1990 the
Museum underwent several phases of expansion
and improvement. The final phase
took place in 1989 with the addition of
7,500 square feet of new gallery space and
In 1985, the Museum's 21 -member board
of trustees officially changed the name of
the institution to the Museum of East Texas.
In doing so, the Museum broadened its
mission to serve people living in the counties
surrounding Lufkin. As a result, the
scope of visitors and school tours has steadily
increased on an annual basis.
The continuing support of the surrounding
community has allowed the Museum of
East Texas to carry out its mission of exploring
two disciplines: art, with special
attention to American and regional art,
and history as it relates to the heritage of
East Texas. These disciplines are explored
through exhibitions, collection holdings,
lectures, seminars, performances,
multidisciplinary educational programs,
films, classes, and publications. The Museum
collects and borrows works of art of
aesthetic value as well as historical objects
of regional significance. In addition to the
historic and art holdings, the Museum also
boasts a collection of more than 10,000
Top: The foot bridge in this circa 1930's photograph leads from "dry" Angelina County to "wet" Trinity
County across the Neches River. Below: This circa 1940 image is of Mack's Tire Shop in Lufkin. The man
on the left is William A. Conner, and Carnes McClendon is pictured on the right.
prints and negatives in its photographic
The Museum of East Texas is located at
503 North Second Street in Lufkin. Hours
of operation are Tuesday through Friday,
10 a.m. to 5 p.m., and Saturday and Sunday,
To obtain more information, contact
the Museum of East Texas at (409) 6394434.
HERITAGE * WINTER 1997 23
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas Historical Foundation. Heritage, Volume 15, Number 1, Winter 1997, periodical, Winter 1997; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth45400/m1/23/: accessed May 26, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas Historical Foundation.