Heritage, Volume 14, Number 4, Fall 1996 Page: 19
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
face in and have wood twigs and slats
attached as lath and white lime plaster
One of 25 families to settle in Las
Gallinas, the Koruses were among the
eight founding families of St. Joseph's
Catholic Church (closed in 1981 and
burned in 1983). The church was built
on land donated by three families; Jahn
Korus donated one acre. Food for the
family was raised on the farm; hogs, horses,
and cattle were raised for the San Antonio
market. Jahn and Marianne's success
was measured by their ability to purchased
additional land in 1876, now a
separate farmstead run by other direct
Jahn Korus' youngest son Jacob stayed
on the farm, increased the acreage, married,
and raised a family there. The Queen
Anne house was built around 1912.
Apolonia Korus Rakowitz, his youngest
child, was born in the frame house in
1915. The only changes to the house
appear to be the addition of a shed roofed
screened-in porch and bath soon after
original construction, the addition of corrugated
metal roofing on top of the original
wood shingles after 1955, the addition
of the bathroom in the main entry
hall in 1961, and the poured-in place
concrete front steps in 1964. On the
interior, cheesecloth hung wallpaper covered
the walls at least through the 1960s.
Linoleum floor coverings still protect the
As a postscript to the project, the work
of the architecture students on the Korus/
Rakowitz Rural Farmstead was recognized
when they received third place in the
prestigious Peterson Prize competition,
an award given by the National Park
Service.The prize honors the quality of
the preservation work performed, in addition
to site selection. According to Professor
Leary the Korus/Rakowitz site was
unique because of its diversity: it contained
three different and undiscovered
structures, all in need of preservation.
Editor's Note: Historical research for this
project was guided by James W. Steely of the
Texas Historical Commission. V. Kay
Hindes of the Atascosa County Historical
Commission also provided invaluable assistance
in facilitating much of the documentation
The project is documented as HABS No.
The two drawings above were completed by seven graduate architecture students from the University of Texas
at Austin, who documented four structures at the Korus/Rakowitz Farmstead. The work at the farmstead
chronicles the development of four primary structures located near Leming, in rural Atascosa County. One of
the structures, a dogtrot-style house believed to date back to circa 1867, provided a rare example of vertical log
construction. The documentation work of the students became part of the permanent record of the Historic
American Buildings Survey and received third place in the prestigious Peterson Prize competition, sponsored
by the National Park Service. These drawings were provided courtesy of Professor Dan Leary, University of
Texas at Austin School of Architecture.
HERITAGE * FALL 1996 19
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas Historical Foundation. Heritage, Volume 14, Number 4, Fall 1996, periodical, Autumn 1996; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth45407/m1/19/: accessed March 19, 2018), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas Historical Foundation.