Heritage, Volume 13, Number 3, Summer 1995 Page: 26
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
HISTORICAL PHOTOGRAPHS FROM THE ARCHIVES OF TEXAS MUSEUMS
With this issue of HERITAGE, we begin a new section of the magazine called Texas Scrapbook,
which will feature historical photographs from the archives of the state's museums and research centers.
We invite Texas museum directors to contact the HERITAGE editor for submission guidelines.
In 1908 the C.B. Livestock Company laid out the
townsite of Crosbyton (near Lubbock). The company
offered free lots and the cost of moving businesses
and homes to those who would consider relocation.
Many businesses and individuals took the
company up on that offer and moved eight miles
across the prairie from Emma, Texas, to the new town
site. Thus, the sight of buildings being transported
across the prairie was not unusual at the time. The
proprieter of Emma Hardware, in fact, was said to
have conducted business from his store as it moved
across the prairie.
Two years later, Crosbyton became the county seat of
Crosby County on September 17, 1910.
The photograph at the top is of the Myers Hotel as it
was being moved to Crosbyton
in 1911. Below, is a photograph
of the Myers Hotel, later
Fullingem Hotel, in Crosbyton
in October 1911.
These images are from the
Crosby County Pioneer Memorial
Museum in Crosbyton.
Note: The Texas Historical Foundation
is currently working on an
update to Photographic Collections
in Texas: A Union Guide.
This book, published in 1987, lists
photographic collections held by libraries,
historical societies, universities,
agencies, corporations, and other
public entities in Texas.Those
groups listed in the original publication
will soon be receiving an
update form. If your group was not
listed originally, but would like to
be included in the revised edition,
contact THF at (512) 453-2154.
26 HERITAGE * SUMMER 1995
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas Historical Foundation. Heritage, Volume 13, Number 3, Summer 1995, periodical, Summer 1995; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth45409/m1/26/: accessed August 17, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas Historical Foundation.