Heritage, Volume 13, Number 2, Spring 1995 Page: 16
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
Historic sites in the town include the
1890's courthouse, the Old Fayette County
Jail, the Fayette Heritage Museum and
Archives, and the Muster Oak and historical
marker. Nearby is the Monument Hill
State Historical Park, a burial site for fallen
Gruene Mansion Inn
1275 Gruene Road
This National Register and Texas landmark
site was H.D. Gruene's 1872 cotton
plantation and is the only plantation still
intact in Texas.
Except for the heating and cooling utilities
that have been added, the home is
exactly as it was in 1878. Guest accommodations
are in the restored barns that stand
alongside the plantation home. Stately antiques
can be found throughout the rooms,
and the Guadalupe River runs nearby.
Visitors to the town will also enjoy
strolling through the Gruene Historic District,
with its restored homes, interesting
stores, quaint restaurants, and eclectic
-istoric KJuebeer-TWaldrip H-aus
and Danvif e Schoof
1620 -Hueco Springs Loop Road
This beautifully restored 1800's pioneer
home and schoolhouse, located on 43 acres,
has eight guest rooms.
The Historic Kuebler-Waldrip Haus
property was first owned by Francois
Gilbeau, a French-born wine merchant,
credited with saving the diseased vineyards
with mustang grape vine cuttings from this
Texas property. The original limestone
structure, built in 1847 by Andreas and
Catherine Pape of Hanover, Germany, was
later the home of the Willie Krafts. In
1974, the present owner began the restoration
of the home.
The Historic Danville School was named
for Daniel Murchison, a Texas Ranger and
military man, and was moved to the New
Braunfels ranch property from Solms in
Comal County in 1990. The school still
retains the original wood floors and walls
and is a perfect spot for family reunions and
Prince Sofms Inn
295 East San Antonio
A registered Texas heritage landmark,
the Prince Solms Inn has been in continuous
operation since it was built by German
craftsmen in 1898. The bricks, handmade
for the hotel, were carted to the site by
horse-drawn wagons. The cypress was milled
from giant trees cut from the banks of the
The inn features 10 Victorian-styled
rooms complete with exquisite antique furniture
The Prince Solms Inn, which is centrally
located on the Main Plaza,, a block
away from the Comal River, is surrounded
by historic buildings. It is the starting point
for a short walking tour designed by the
town's Historical Society.
Beckmann Inn and Carriage House
222 East GuentherStreet
The Beckmann Inn, in the King Williams
Historic District of San Antonio, can
be found in the National Register of Historic
Places and is a City of San Antonio
The house was originally built in 1886
by architect Albert Beckman, for his bride,
Marie Dorothea, daughter of the Guenther
flour mill family. Though the home was
built originally in the Queen Anne style,
around the turn-of-the-century, several
rooms and a wrap-around porch were added,
giving the house a Greek revival influence.
In 1913, the porch was extended from
Madison Street around to Guenther Street,
thus making the new address less notorious
because of an infamous brothel that was
located on Madison Street.
The home now includes three guest
rooms and two suites in the carriage house.
Buflis House Inn
621 Pierce Street
The Bullis House was built between
1906-1909 by noted architect Harvey Page
for General John Lapham Bullis and his
family. Bullis became famous while fighting
hostile Indians on the Texas frontier
and was instrumental in the capture of
Apache Chief Geronimo.
The Texas historic landmark inn features
details such as marble fireplaces, rich
oak floors, and crystal chandeliers. Four
guest rooms with 14-foot ceilings and period
pieces are available to visitors.
Nearby Fort Sam Houston and the old
army museum beckon tourists who may
also want to visit the 1886 Fort Sam Houston
Quadrangle, where Geronimo was once
held captive and where peacocks, deer,
rabbits, and other animals now graze.
Bullis House Inn
The Of ord House
563 North Graham
Originally built in 1898, this Victorian
style inn was the home of Judge W. J.
Oxford, a member of one of the founding
families of Erath County.
The restoration of the Oxford House in
1985 was marked by careful attention to
detail, including the rebuilding of a cupola
atop the house, complete with copper eagle.
Furnishings from the original house still
grace the four guest rooms. Original portraits
as well as family genealogies decorate
Other sites of interest in the area are
Stephenville's historic courthouse and museum
grounds, which include a church, a
two-room schoolhouse, three log cabins,
and the early home of John Tarleton, for
whom Tarleton State University is named.
16 HERITAGE * SPRING 1995
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas Historical Foundation. Heritage, Volume 13, Number 2, Spring 1995, periodical, Spring 1995; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth45410/m1/16/: accessed November 17, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas Historical Foundation.