Heritage, Volume 13, Number 2, Spring 1995 Page: 23
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
for their fine handcrafted jewelry related to
* The State Preservation Board will
receive the Mary Moody Northen Award,
given to a local nonprofit historical organization.
The Preservation Board has been
selected for its work on the preservation
and restoration of the State Capitol in
* The Judge James E. Wheat Award
honoring the outstanding contribution of a
business to historical preservation will be
presented to the Williamson-Dickie Manufacturing
Company of Fort Worth. That
business will be recognized for the restoration
of the Stephen F. Austin Elementary
School as their corporate headquarters, and
for the utilization of a nearby, older warehouse.
Texas Archaeological Society
To Conduct 1995 Field
School at Lake Jackson
The 1995 Texas Archaeological Field
School will return to the Lake Jackson
State Archaeological Landmark for a second
year, from June 10-17.
Excavation during the field school will
concentrate on the main structures of the
1840's plantation -- the sugar mill, the
main house, and the surrounding outbuildings.
The school is open to professionals and
novices, and all archaeological excavations
Professional growth programs for teachers
and a special youth program for children
entering grades 1-5 is also planned.
Evening sessions related to archaeology,
including one on flint knapping and another
on the ill-fated Fort St. Louis established
by the LaSalle expedition in 1685 in
the vicinity of Matagorda Bay, are open to
all field school participants.
Camping and motel facilities will be
available near the site, and meal tickets can
also be purchased. Membership in the Texas
Archaeological Society is required for all
attending the field school. Registration
deadline is May 1. Contact the Texas Archaeological
Society for more information
at (210) 691-4393.
Sponsors of this year's field school are
the Brazosport Archaeological and the
Houston Archaeological Societies, the City
of Lake Jackson, Dow Chemical North
America-Texas Operations, Lake Jackson
Historical Association (owners of the site),
and the University of Houston-Clear Lake.
Beaumont Plans For
Heritage Days in Early May
The Sixth Annual Heritage Days at the
John Jay French Museum in Beaumont will
take place on Saturday, May 6, from 10
a.m. to 4 p.m., under the direction of the
members of the Beaumont Heritage Center.
Crafts from the mid-19th century that
will be demonstrated include basket weaving,
blacksmithing, lye soap making, spinning
and weaving, quilting, broom making,
On Friday, May 5, second grade students
from the Beaumont school system
will visit the museum to watch as
craftspeople set up and demonstrate their
Admission for the Saturday Heritage
Days Celebration is $3 for adults. For more
information, call the Beaumont Heritage
Center at (409) 898-0348.
The John Jay French Museum is an
authentically furnished house and trading
post that replicates the lifestyle of the prosperous
pioneer family that lived there in
the mid 1800s.
The museum is operated by the Beaumont
The Hotel Limpia
Fort Davis, Texas
In the Heart of the Davis Mountains
33 Deluxe Rooms and Suites
Dining Room - Gift Shop - Private Club
Charming country Atmosphere
Box 822 Fort Davis, Texas 79734
Member of the Historic Hotel Association of Texas
- Big Bend National Park
- McDonald Observatory
- Fort Davis National Historic Site
- Davis Mountains State Park
563 N. GRAHAM
BILL & PAULA OXFORD
HERITAGE * SPRING 1995 23
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas Historical Foundation. Heritage, Volume 13, Number 2, Spring 1995, periodical, Spring 1995; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth45410/m1/23/: accessed November 17, 2018), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas Historical Foundation.