Heritage, Volume 12, Number 2, Spring 1994 Page: 21
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
struction of a handsome wood burning fireplace
and chimney in the lobby.
Following the completion of this work,
Walton employed Dehmlow to do another
major job in Brewster County on the Catto
Gage Ranch. On that project, Dehmlow
supervised and performed the masonry work
involved in the rebuilding of a 125-yearold
stone building that involved new
foundations, digging out the old site-made
lime mortar, and stone work inside and out.
In the course of this work, great care was
taken to screen the sand used in the tuck
pointing to expose a coarser aggregate,
lending authenticity to the restoration. The
Catto Gage Ranch project also involved
the construction of three adobe brick
buildings. Dehmlow was involved again in
the making of about 40,000 adobe bricks
on the site. Once again, he also laid or
supervised the laying of these bricks in
three ranch buildings constructed there.
These pitched tin roof adobe houses are
constructed in a style reminiscent of the
early adobe houses in Brewster County.
The importance of the craftsmanship
and authenticity that Dehmlow brought to
these projects in Brewster County cannot
be overestimated. His skills and dedication
to perfection made possible projects that
greatly add to the historical and architectural
integrity of these projects.
The John Ben Shepperd Jr. Award,
named after the Odessa man who made
inestimable contributions to both the Texas
Historical Commission and the Texas
Historical Foundation, recognizes exemplary
craftsmanship in restoration projects.
* Mary Moody Northen Award
F. Lee Lawrence of Tyler for his outstanding
contributions to and on behalf of non-profit
historical preservation groups
Lee Lawrence was born in Paris, Texas,
and has lived in Tyler since 1931. He
served for two years in the Navy during
World War II and graduated Phi Beta Kappa
from Texas Christian University. After
graduating from the School of Law at
Southern Methodist University, he entered
the legal profession in Tyler in 1950.
As a young man, he loved Texas history,
and as an adult he has exhibited a devotion
to that love that has resulted in noteworthy
contributions to more than a dozen different
Texas historical organizations.
In 1959, Governor Price Daniel appointed
him when but a very young man to
the Texas Historical Survey Committee.
He served as a member and officer for four
years, collaborating with John Ben
Shepperd and Dr. Rupert Richardson to
develop the state historical marker program.
Since 1959, Lawrence has been a
board member of the Texas Historical
Foundation and served as president and
He was instrumental in organizing historical
organizations in San Augustine,
Shelby, Gregg, and Rusk counties and is a
founding member and past president of the
Smith County Historical Society and the
East Texas Historical Association. He is a
past president and member of the executive
council of the Texas State Historical
Association. He has written numerous articles
for historical quarterlies and publications
and co-authored the book "Camp
Ford CSA: The Story of Union Prisoners in
In 1985, Lee and his wife purchased the
home place of his great-great grandfather,
noted Indian fighter and pioneer James
Cunningham in Comanche County. They
hired restoration architect Raiford Stripling
and restored his ancestor's home to
the 1870's state. The Cunningham family,
now numbering more than 1,300, holds
their reunion on the place every year.
Poets, Trick Riders
* Deolece Parmelee Award
"Texas Archeological Society Bulletin" for
excellence in historical research
In 1928 in Abilene, the Texas Archeological
Society began as the West Texas
Archeological Society, primarily through
the efforts of Cyrus Ray, E.B. Sayles, and
Curry Holden. Only a year after the initial
meeting, the "Bulletin" was published.
At its 25th annual meeting in 1952, the
Society changed its name to the Texas Archeological
Society. This past year they
published the 61st volume of the "Bulletin".
Articles published are original papers in the
field of American archaeology with an emphasis
on Texas and adjoining areas in the
U.S. and Mexico. They concern archaeological
technique, method, or theory, and
preference is given to members of the Society.
For its long and prestigious history in
publishing data to encourage scientific collection
and the study of man's past in Texas
and contiguous areas, the Society was recognized
for excellence in historical research.
The award is named for Deolece Parmelee,
director of research for the Texas Historical
Commission for more than 15 years.
(Look for more on the award winners in the
Fall 1994 issue of HERITAGE.)
24 & 25th,
Taylor County Old Settlers
Perini Ranch Steak House
Friday, 8 p.m.-10p.m. (Admission $5.00)
Saturday 10 a.m.-5p.m. and 8 p.m.-10 p.m. (Gate $6.00/Advance $5.00)
Chuck Wagon Dinner, Saturday 6-8 p.m.
(In case of rain - Buffalo Gap Ballroom)
HERITAGE * SPRING 1994 21
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas Historical Foundation. Heritage, Volume 12, Number 2, Spring 1994, periodical, Spring 1994; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth45413/m1/21/: accessed June 27, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas Historical Foundation.