Heritage, Volume 12, Number 4, Fall 1994 Page: 20
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
The Bulletin of the Texas Archaeological Society
By Timothy K. Perttula
Since 1929, the Texas Archaeological Society has compiled and published
research that encourages scientific collection and documents man's past in Texas.
* Bulletin of the Texas Archaeological Association
* Winner of the Deolece Parmelee Award for outstanding achievement in historical preservation research
T he Texas Archaeological Society
recently had the great honor to receive
from the Texas Historical Foundation the
Deolece Parmelee Award for outstanding
achievement in historical preservation research.
The award was presented in late
April at the Texas Historical Commission's
Annual Preservation Conference awards
dinner in San Angelo.
The selection of TAS to receive the
Deolece Parmelee Award was in recognition
of the long-term and continuing
contributions made by the Bulletin of the
Texas Archaeological Society to historical
preservation research in Texas. As part of
the organization's study of man's past in
Texas, the BTAS publishes original papers
in the field of American archaeology by
avocational and professional archaeologists,
with a particular emphasis on the archae
ology of Texas and adjoining areas in the
United States and Mexico.
A statewide archaeological society in
Texas was created in 1929 through the
efforts of a dedicated group of individuals
in the Abilene area, led by Dr. Cyrus N.
Ray, an osteopathic surgeon. It was entitled
the Texas Archaeological and Paleontological
Society; after its first year it had
barely 100 members. That October, the
Society published a yearbook containing
articles on an archaeological survey of the
El Paso area (by M.L. Crimmins), excavations
in the Canadian River valley of
Northwest Texas (by W.C. Holden),
campsites on the Texas coast (by George
C. Martin), prehistoric cultures and sites of
the Abilene region (by Cyrus N. Ray and
E.B. Sayles), and a paper on the culture of
the Comanche (by Rupert Richardson).
From Volume 1 through Volume 17
(1946), the editorship of the Society's
Bulletin of the Texas Archaeological and Paleontological
Society remained in the capable
hands of Dr. Ray. He was able to produce
and publish annual volumes for the Society
even during World War II, although the
Bulletin for 1944 was not issued until the fall
of 1945. Dr. Ray turned over the editorial
reins to W.C. Holden (charter member of
the Society and director of the anthropology
program at Texas Technological College
in Lubbock) in 1947. In October 1952,
the Society elected to change its name to
the Texas Archaeological Society in recognition
of the fact that archaeology was its
From 1953 to 1965, the editorial direction
for the Society was established by a
cadre of professional archaeologists at the
20 HERITAGE * FALL 1994
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas Historical Foundation. Heritage, Volume 12, Number 4, Fall 1994, periodical, Autumn 1994; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth45414/m1/20/: accessed April 27, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas Historical Foundation.