Heritage, Volume 9, Number 3, Summer 1991 Page: 19
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
The Augusta Hofheinz House. Tour guests admire the elaborate classical columns of the house on Hopkins Street
in San Marcos that is home to a magnificent doll collection belonging to Mrs. Stanley Seaton.
Photograph by Kim Bradley.
that has witnessed innumerable layers of
San Marcos history. The hill earlier known
as Wood's Hill was owned by General
Edward Burleson when the present town
was laid out. On a neighboring hill he
erected the first school house and at the
head of the river, the first mill, forerunner
of one of the many mills and gins that
developed on the San Marcos River.
Wood's Hill became Chatauqua Hill
and then College Hill when sold to the
state for a Normal School, now the
Southwest Texas State University
hovering over all of San Marcos. Below at
the river where Burleson erected the mill,
archaeologists now find evidence that the
San Marcos River was the home place to
Indians as far back as 12,000 years ago.
Today Wood's home at 326 West Hopkins
Street is the Crystal River Inn restored
by Mike and Cathy Dillon. It acquired its
Classical Revival apppearance in 1909
when the family bowed to the prevailing
taste in architecture to create this interesting
hybrid. The seven-room bedand-breakfast,
with recently added fountain
courtyard, is the scene of frequent
HERITAGE * SUMMER 1991
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas Historical Foundation. Heritage, Volume 9, Number 3, Summer 1991, periodical, Summer 1991; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth45423/m1/19/: accessed April 23, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas Historical Foundation.