Heritage, Volume 8, Number 1, Winter 1990 Page: 18
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
tion technology, using the extensive resources
available from the architects in the
state to bring case studies and assist in field
visits. The course on preservation law had
been offered by the department of urban
and regional planning for some years, and a
course on the preservation of historical
landscapes had also been taught on a
number of occasions in the department of
landscape architecture. Construction Science
had participated in the theory course
by developing a special sequence in Contracting
for Preservation, the central theme
of which was presented recently at the
Association for Preservation Technology
annual meeting in Chicago. Each degree
program had also had experience with
individuals who had selected an historic
preservation topic for their Final Study,
and the committee structure selected by
the students was demonstrably inter-disciplinary.
The faculty in architectural history
had also developed a number of courses
that were of specific value to the preservation
group. Further, each of the design
departments had undertaken various proj -
ects with a community planning focus in
which the importance of the historic fabric
was a recurring theme.
The model is still in a formative mode,
but it has already shown itself to be effective
in encouraging a genuine spirit of
inter-disciplinary activity within the college,
and through the growing number of
graduates whose special understar
knowledge about historic pres
supported with a strong profess
gree, has led to early indications o
cant professional career.
Universities have a special res
ity to engender an awareness of t
ing and significance of the past, ju
seek new approaches to solve pro
the future. Through the use of
programmatic group of courses an
The west elevation of the Cavitt Log Cabin.
Material notes on the drawing are: roof-cedar
shingles; walls-cedar logs; chimney-brick;
A measured drawing of the Cavitt House
under construction from 1845 to 1854.
Wheelock, Robertson County.
A measured drawing of the Giesel Building built
in 1860. Navasota, Grimes County.
hiding and this model hopes to create a generation of
iervation, professionals who understand the need to
ional de- work together to address issues in the built
fa signifi- and natural heritage, and who are aware of
the need for careful study and expert assissponsibil-
tance as changes and interventions in such
he mean- elements take place. Further, as part of the
ist as they role of a land-grant college, it is anticipated
blems for that the Center for Historic Resources, and
F a cross- other parts of the university, may provide a
Ld faculty, focus for research and the dissemination of
knowledge and ideas that will be a growing
resource for professionals and others in the
state and region.
David G. Woodcock is Professor of Architecture at Texas A&M University where he directs
courses in Historic Preservation. He is active as a consultant and advisor to a number of historical
groups. He serves on the Faculty Steering Committee of the Center for Historic Resources.
18 HERITAGE * WINTER 1990
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas Historical Foundation. Heritage, Volume 8, Number 1, Winter 1990, periodical, Winter 1990; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth45426/m1/18/: accessed July 20, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas Historical Foundation.