Heritage, Volume 8, Number 1, Winter 1990 Page: 32
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
per clipping of the time described it as..."a
fine building to which they give the modest
title of school house, and which elsewhere
would be called academy or collegiate institution.
It is built of stone, two stories
high with galleries and verandahs.. .It is an
ornament to the town." The building has
served many purposes and many people
over the years. Today it is a retreat center.
Many share the pride of developing,
preserving, and restoring this historic town.
Faustina Christilles Sharp traces her family
tree to Alsace and subsequently to Castroville.
When Faustina was born the family
moved to La Coste, the little city on the
outskirts of Castroville. In 1949, Faustina
and her husband, Dr. Marion Woodrow .
Sharp, bought one of the old Castroville The restored home of Dr. and Mrs. Marion Woodrow Sharp, Castroville.
dwellings from her parents. The original
owner was Jean Merion who had purchased
the lot directly from the Castro family and
had completed his house in 1851. Merion
was a Master Mason and the Sharps are
proud of the unusually fine workmanship
in their home. The home was one of the L
more spacious houses built at that time.
Another descendant of one of Castro's
Ima traces her ancestral tree to Nickalous
Tschirhart who had settled in Castroville
in 1845 and fathered eleven children. He
lost little time in building a stone house but
The Joseph Carle home, Castroville was built Mormon bed owned by Faustina Christilles Sharp. The bed was a wedding gift to Faustina's
in1865. The lower floor housed a general grandmother. A Mormon colony was established at Mountain Valley near Castroville in 1854.
store with living quarters upstairs. The It thrived until 1858 when fear of the impending Civil War drove the colonists north.
Belchers presently own and operate an antique
shop in the front of the building and the
Alsatian Restaurant is located in the rear.
in 1847 he sold it for a two-family residence.
In 1906 Ima's grandmother purchased
her relative's house and brought
ownership back to the family. The Seals
purchased the house in 1976 and moved
into their enlarged and beautifully restored
home. In 1978 they were rewarded a State
Historical Marker for their reconstruction
of one of the oldest houses in Castroville.
Castroville is rich in its past, rich in its
heritage, rich in its ancestries, and rich in
its present. Come share the wealth.
Cornelia English Crook bought and restored
Henri Castro's Homestead. She is the author
of Henry Castro: A Study of Early Colonization
in Texas published by St. Mary's
32 HERITAGE * WINTER 1990
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas Historical Foundation. Heritage, Volume 8, Number 1, Winter 1990, periodical, Winter 1990; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth45426/m1/32/: accessed May 25, 2018), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas Historical Foundation.