Heritage, Volume 8, Number 4, Fall 1990 Page: 30
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
By Mary Orbeck
B osque County elicits strong
responses from those who visit
there. This county of green hills
and meadows that attracted Norwegian
immigrants in the 1850s today attracts
tourists with its beautiful scenery and well
preserved log, stone, and frame structures
in the Norse Historic District.
The National Register of Historic
Places awarded a thematic nomination to
the Norwegian Settlement of Bosque
County in 1983. Included in this
designation are the structures within the
district composed of forty-six farmsteads,
two churches, and an old mill, all of which
were associated with nineteenth century
Norwegian occupation of this part of the
state. The log, stone, and frame structures
reflect the Norwegian design and building
techniques-especially the early onesdating
back to 1853. Some of the structures
are tucked away in the rolling hills and
meadows making them hard to see, while
others, including the two churches, have
been carefully placed to be visible from
many points in the settlement. This placement
produces a series of unforgettably
picturesque vistas as one moves through
Norwegian immigration to the United
States began in 1825 when trailblazer
Cleng Peerson brought the initial band of
immigrants to form a settlement in upper
New York state. Other groups soon
followed and during the next twenty-five
years immigrants arrived at a brisk rate,
encouraged by Peerson's quest for a better
life for his countrymen. Some colonizers
30 HERITAGE * FALL 1990
of men and
in this quiet
Top: St. Olaf's Lutheran Church-The Old Rock Church-dates back to 1886.
Above: Our Savior's Lutheran Church built in 1875.
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas Historical Foundation. Heritage, Volume 8, Number 4, Fall 1990, periodical, Autumn 1990; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth45429/m1/30/: accessed March 20, 2018), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas Historical Foundation.