Heritage, Volume 8, Number 4, Fall 1990 Page: 31
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
The Bertel Bertelsen house was originally a log house built in 1864 for the Charlie Johnson family.
In 1894 the Bertelsens purchased the house and added rooms and the rock. It is presently owned by Dr. and Mrs. Tom Williams.
went to East Texas and a settlement was
founded in Henderson and Kaufman counties
where they experienced disappointment
and heartache for several years. The
land was sandy and unproductive; the summer
heat brought disease; and medical attention
was hard to get.
Ole Canuteson left the East Texas settlement
in 1852 and went looking for a better
place for his suffering countrymen. He
liked the looks of the country he found in
the Bosque Valley, with its hills, running
streams, and lush grasslands, so much like
the Norwegian homeland. Canuteson
returned in 1854 with his friend Cleng
Peerson, bringing seven families to settle
on Meridian, Gary, and Neills Creeks, beginning
the community which was to grow
into the largest Norwegian settlement in
Visitors may take a self-tour or a guided
one as they roam the area. A good place to
begin is at the Bosque Memorial Museum
in Clifton, which houses Norwegian artifacts,
an award winning antique clothing
collection, resource library, and a log cabin,
as well as considerable background information
on the area and its buildings and
cultural heritage. Information and a map
published by the Norwegian Society of
Texas showing the locations of thirty-nine
historical sites may be obtained here.
Top: The John and Mary Colwick farmhouse built in 1889 by Johan Nordahl.
Above: The Colwick house after restoration. Photos courtesy of Bosque County Collection.
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas Historical Foundation. Heritage, Volume 8, Number 4, Fall 1990, periodical, Autumn 1990; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth45429/m1/31/: accessed September 20, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas Historical Foundation.