Heritage, Volume 7, Number 2, Spring 1989 Page: 31
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
incorporate in 1870. The Schutzenverein
(Rifle Association) was chartered in 1873;
the town charter was approved in 1877.
Round Top's primitive beginnings are
preserved by Texas Pioneer Arts Foundation's
Henkel Square, an authentic restoration
of 19th century Anglo-American
and German-American culture. It consists
of several restored homes, the Haw Creek
church and schoolhouse, and the Apothecary
Shop. Other restored buildings of this
era are located elsewhere throughout the
town. Visitors may tour and experience the
living tradition of Stephen F. Austin's
Bethlehem Lutheran Church was built
in 1866 of local cedar and sandstone under
the supervision of Carl Siegismund Bauer,
who had come from Germany several years
earlier. It is a good example of German
architectural style. It also houses a native
cedar pipe organ built in 1867 by Traugott
Wandke. Both the church and organ have
received historical plaques. This building
is thought to be the oldest Lutheran church
in the State of Texas in which services are
The nearby Winedale Historical
Center is an educational branch of The
University of Texas at Austin, and is used
as a center for the study of ethnic cultures
of Central Texas. Given to the University
by Miss Ima Hogg and opened in 1967, the
190-acre farmstead consists of a visitor
center, two historic homes furnished with
Texas-German furniture and decorative
arts, a gallery for special exhibits, log barn,
a theatre barn and a conference center.
Another preservation project reflecting
the Victorian era is incorporated at Festival
Hill, an internationally known classical
music teaching and performance center.
The Festival-Institute was founded in 1971
by concert pianist James Dick. The 80-acre
permanent campus, dedicated in 1976, includes
the William Lockhart Clayton
House (1884), the Menke House Conference
Center (1902) and a 1000-seat Festival
Concert Hall that provide opportunities
for study, concerts and conferences.
Round Top celebrates July fourth as the
great patriotic event of the year, complete
with speeches, parade and barbeque, sponsored
by the Rifle Association. According
to tradition, this event began in the 1820s,
and is first documented in 1851. It has
In the late
area began to
to this day.
TOP: The Winedale Historical Center was given to
The University of Texas by Miss Ima Hogg.
BOTTOM: Bethlehem Lutheran Church, 1866,
was constructed of local cedar and sandstone.
earned the distinction of being the oldest
continuing such celebration west of the
The Round Top Antiques Fairs are held
the first weekends of April and October
annually. The location is the Rifle Association
Building and Pavilion, FM 1457,
one mile from the Town Square. Eightyeight
exhibitors from Maine to California
present the best of Americana, Texana,
country and formal antiques. Emma Lee
Turney is manager of the event.
Residents of metropolitan centers have
learned to treasure small ethnic pockets of
rural tranquility. Round Top has found
new supporters in preserving a unique living
legacy. Welcome to Round Top!
P. 0. Box 89 * Round Top, TX 78954
(Tours by appointment)
Round Top Antiques Fairs
Emma Lee Turney, Manager
P.O. Box 66402 * Houston, TX 77006
Texas Pioneer Arts Foundation
P.O. Box 82 * Round Top, TX 78954
(Tours daily 12-5; adult $2, student $1.)
Winedale Historical Center
P.O. Box 11 * Round Top, TX 78954
(Tours Sat. 10-5, Sun. 12-5, weekdays by
appointment; adult $2, student 50.)
I ERITAGE * SPRING 1989 31
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas Historical Foundation. Heritage, Volume 7, Number 2, Spring 1989, periodical, Spring 1989; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth45432/m1/31/: accessed September 24, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas Historical Foundation.