Heritage, Volume 5, Number 2, Summer 1987 Page: 14
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
Williamson County Courthouse, 1910. Visible for miles around, the imposing Neoclassical Revival structure is the focal point of the central business district.
Austin architect C. H. Page designed the building, completed in 1911 with copper dome, projecting porticoes supported by Ionic columns, and classical pediment
and balustrade detailing. The pediments and balustrade were removed in 1965.
Georgetown Heritage Society
Though a relatively young or>/ganization,
Heritage Society (GHS) can be justifiably
proud of its record of service to its community.
In the ten years since its founding,
the society has initiated a large number
of educational, preservation, and
In fact, the Texas Historical Commission
presented the Texas Award for Historic
Preservation to GHS in 1985. Accomplishments
honored through that
award included co-funding of Georgetown's
Historic Resources Survey and National
Register Multiple-Resource Nomination,
ongoing support for the city's
Main Street Project, and coordination of
a six-program public series on the ethnic
heritage of Georgetown.
The society also provided financial assistance
for the restoring of the dome atop
the Williamson County Courthouse, for
refurbishing antique lighting standards
which surround that building, and for the
cleaning and repair of a Civil War memorial
on the courthouse lawn.
One of the largest of the "pocket parks"
developed on the city square as part of
Georgetown's Sesquicentennial sidewalk,
lighting, and landscaping project was donated
by the Heritage Society in honor of
past, present, and future preservationists.
For the past two years, GHS has been
cooperating with city planners in funding
and formulating a preservation plan for
Georgetown and has been assisting with
other activities associated with Georgetown's
Certified Local Government
In the spring GHS established a longrange
program designed to encourage and
assist property owners and civic groups
who are willing to sponsor state historical
markers for outstanding Georgetown
structures, sites, and historic personages.
Professional fees for the preparation of
many of these marker applications will be
paid with matching funds provided by the
GHS is also coordinating the local
effort currently underway to convince the
United States Postal Service to retain a
post office in the downtown area after the
city's new postal facility near Interstate 35
At its offices just off the square at
109 E. Eighth Street, the society maintains
extensive files on people, places,
and events of yesteryear Georgetown, in
addition to an expanding collection of
historic and contemporary photographs,
slides, and maps.
GHS also participates in community
festivals and coordinates public programs,
lectures, and workshops as well as field
trips and tours to nearby sites of archaeological
or historic interest.
The society's educational programs
range from publication of books to preparation
of exhibits at Southwestern University's
Moody Heritage Museum. The
most recent GHS exhibit, a Sesquicentennial
tribute entitled "150 Years of Family
Life in Georgetown," focused on the
evolution of local family life as experienced
by specific townspeople. The exhibit
was selected this spring by the Texas
Historical Commission to receive an Out
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas Historical Foundation. Heritage, Volume 5, Number 2, Summer 1987, periodical, Summer 1987; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth45437/m1/14/: accessed December 13, 2018), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas Historical Foundation.