Heritage, Volume 5, Number 2, Summer 1987 Page: 32
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
The Texas Historical Foundation-Texas
Historical Commission Annual Historic Presevation
Conference was held April 23-25 in
the beautiful city of El Paso. The conference
was a marked success, with over 300 participants
from around the state.
This year's theme was folk life and folk culture
as an important element of Texas' past. Sessions
during the three-day event ranged from
"A Chinese Community in El Paso: The Archaeological
Evidence," conducted by Dr.
James Day of the El Paso Centennial Museum,
to "Curanderismo: A Legacy of Hispanic
Healing," conducted by Dr. Eliseo Torres of
Texas A&I University in Kingsville.
Mrs. Shirley Caldwell, Albany.
The evening of Saturday April 25 concluded
the conference, when the Texas Historical
Foundation hosted a cocktail party for all the
conference participants. Following the cocktail
party was the awards banquet, at which
the Foundation presented its annual historic
preservation awards and the Commission presented
its Ruth Lester Award.
This year's awards for historical prservation
were presented to five outstanding projects in
Texas. The Foundation's prestigious Mary
Moody Northen Award for outstanding
achievement in historic presevation for a local
nonprofit historical organization or local government
was given to the Ranching Heritage
Association of Lubbock. The Ranching Heritage
Association is one of the few outdoor museums
in the nation and the only museum that
deals with ranching from the 1700s to the
The Foundation's Josiah Wheat Award of Merit
for outstanding achievement in historical preservation
for business and industry, which can
be awarded to an individual or business, was
presented to Giles McCrary of Post, Texas.
Mr. McCrary is mayor of Post, a Texas Historical
Commission Main Street Project city.
Mayor McCrary's contribution of time, talent,
energy, and personal funds have made Post a
progressive and exciting city in which to live
The John Ben Shepperd, Jr. Craftsmanship
Award for outstanding craftsmanship in historical
preservation was presented to Lohman
Feist of Priddy, Texas. Mr. Feist was the foreman
and lead carpenter who reproduced in
style and feeling antebellum craftsmanship in
the restoration of the 1855 Cunningham
House in Comanche County, Texas.
For outstanding achievement in historical preservation
for historical research, the Deolece
Parmelee Award was presented to The San
Antonio Missions National Historical Park: A
Guidebook. The book was a Sesquicentennial
gift to the city of San Antonio from the San
Antonio Junior League and is a combined
effort of the San Antonio Junior League, the
National Park Service staff and Los Compadres
de San Antonio Missions National
A Citation of Merit for the outstanding interpretation
of Texas history and folklore in a
creative manner was presented for the play
John Wilkes Booth-The Myth and the Mummy.
The playwrights JoAnn Miller and John Sims
of Granbury are to be commended both for
the extensive research that went into the play
and for the objective presentation of history
The Texas Historical Commission presented
their highest honor, the Ruth Lester Award to
Shirley Caldwell of Albany, Texas, for her
years of work and accomplishments while
serving as the chairman of the Dallas County
Historical Commission. Mrs. Caldwell is a
current member of the Texas Historical Foundation
board of directors. We congratulate her
for receiving the Commission's most distinguished
Mrs. Grady D. Rash, Jr. and Mrs. Joan Hataway.
International Boundary Marker
On FM 31, between Deadwood, Texas, and
Logansport, Louisiana, stands a one-of-a-kind
relic of Texas' past, an international boundary
marker. In 1971, highway workers found the
granite marker, which stands six inches square
and four feet high and proclaims the boundary
between the Republic of Texas and the United
States. The boundary marker was dated and
prepared to be set in 1840. Because of delays it
was not set until 1841 but still bears the previous
The late Hobart Key, Jr. of Marshall, Texas,
gave the three-acre site to the Texas Historical
Foundation to maintain in 1977. That same
year the site became a State Archaeological
Landmark and in 1980 became a local Historic
Civil Engineering Landmark.
On April 12, 1987, the Daughters of the Republic
of Texas honored the site as a part of
their Sesquicentennial celebration by unveiling
a plaque honoring the heroic ancestors of
the Daughters of the Republic of Texas.
Among the guests present for the dedication
ceremony were Mrs. Grady D. Rash, Jr.,
President General, Daughters of the Republic
of Texas and Mrs. Joan Hataway, President,
Texas Historical Foundation.
The Texas Historical Foundation is grateful to
the Daughters of the Republic of Texas for
placing the plaque on the international
boundary marker and for their care and maintenance
of this valuable site as part of the history
and heritage of our state.
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas Historical Foundation. Heritage, Volume 5, Number 2, Summer 1987, periodical, Summer 1987; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth45437/m1/32/: accessed July 21, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas Historical Foundation.