Heritage, Volume 5, Number 2, Summer 1987 Page: 8
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
HERITAGE FOR TODAY
Beautifully built of cypress by Hans Heinrich
Nicholous Ilse in 1887, and exquisitely restored
1965-1969, this grand four-bedroom home is a
fine example of symmetrical victorian architecture
reminiscent of the Greek Revival period.
Raumonda is a recorded Texas
Historical Landmark in one of
Texas' earliest settlements. The
present site of Columbus on the
Colorado River was surveyed by
Stephen F. Austin in 1823 as part
of the original Anglo-American
land grant from Mexico.
This most enjoyable home is now available for
purchase at $395,000. All draperies and chandeliers
are included in the price. Most of the
other fine antique furnishings and furniture may
be purchased separately. For information,
MARKETERS OF FINE PROPERTIES
1775 St. James Place Houston, TX 77056
the city's Main Street manager, Georgetown was able to
successfully rejuvenate its ailing central business district.
During the five years that Georgetown participated in the
Texas Main Street Program, more than $8 million was reinvested
in downtown building improvements. Sixty-nine
structures underwent major renovation, six additional
buildings received more attractive signage, and nearly three
hundred new jobs were created, making Georgetown one of
the most successful Main Street stories nationwide.
Through the Main Street program, local residents were
treated to a cohesive grouping of freshly painted, sympathetically
restored commercial buildings which offered a variety
of services and merchandise. In addition, the Main
Street manager's promotional skills helped the Downtown
Georgetown Association to implement a cooperative advertising
campaign and to launch a number of seasonal
events that attracted both local residents and out-of-town
visitors to the square. Several of these events, including the
Christmas Stroll and May Fair, have become annual community-wide
Motivated by the tasteful facade restoration accomplished
through the Main Street Project, Georgetown citizens
chose in 1986 to further refurbish the downtown
square. As its major project for the Texas Sesquicentennial,
Georgetown did its part to beautify the state by making
significant improvements to its own downtown lighting,
landscaping, and sidewalks.
Cracked concrete sidewalks, unsightly and hazardous,
were replaced with buff brick pavers laid in a herringbone
pattern. Sturdy teakwood benches were located in thirteen
corner "pocket parks," while cast-metal lighting standards
(reproductions of those found on the courthouse lawn) were
installed throughout the historic district. Crape myrtle
trees and shumard oaks soften the streetscapes on all sides
of the square. With a price tag of more than $600,000, this
Historic District Improvement Project was funded by the
city through assessments levied on downtown building
owners and through private donations and grants.
Officials of Williamson County, of which Georgetown is
the governmental seat, also have rallied to the cause of
downtown beautification. In 1983 they authorized preparation
of a master plan for restoration of the county's 1910
Neoclassical Revival courthouse. The building's original
copper dome and wooden windows have since been repaired
and restored, and plans are underway for further improvements,
both inside and out.
The impact of Main Street's very tangible economic and
architectural benefits, however, extended beyond the
boundaries of the square itself. The project's highly visible
results provided a springboard for preservation efforts already
underway in the city's historic neighborhoods.
Membership in the Georgetown Heritage Society increased
tenfold during the Main Street era as more and
more citizens awakened to the importance of local preservation.
This broad-based support enabled the Heritage Society
to accelerate its plans to implement a number of major
By 1984 a professionally prepared Historic Resources Survey
of more than 900 pre-1935 homes and buildings had
been completed. Through the Multiple-Resource Nomina
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas Historical Foundation. Heritage, Volume 5, Number 2, Summer 1987, periodical, Summer 1987; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth45437/m1/8/: accessed November 21, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas Historical Foundation.