Heritage, Volume 2, Number 4, Fall 1985 Page: 17
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
Bee Cave. Copied July 4, 1938. These pictographs are in Bee Cave, high on the east cliff of the Pecos River.
The shelter is about two hundred feet long with about a thirty-foot overhang. The general surface of the cave
wall is chalky and rough, unsuited to pictographs, but a small surface about twenty feet long at the lower end
of the shelter was hard and smooth, and bore these paintings. The designs in group No. 1 are all in black and
resemble, somewhat, the carved designs at the mouth of Lewis Canyon, some twenty miles down the river.
No. 2 is a typical Pecos River style design. Watercolor by Forrest Kirkland, courtesy of the Texas Memorial
Museum. (Acc. No. 2261-54)
photographs. The 1984-85 archive accessibility
project had three primary goals
to address these problems: 1) to determine
the nature and extent of these important
holdings; 2) to centralize the retrieval
area for the collections; and 3) to
provide new protective housings for each
component (watercolors, photographs,
field diaries, and research files).
Lignin-free housing materials were chosen
in order to protect the collection from the
damaging effects of this organic component
of wood fiber which breaks down to
form acids and peroxides. A. T. Jackson's
county research files were transferred to
acid-free folders and maintained in alphabetical
order. The 0. L. Sims collection
of drawings and tracings were ordered by
site, numbered and placed in lignin-free
folders within lignin-free archival boxes.
The Kirkland watercolor paintings were
matted and also archivally boxed. Kirkland
diaries and other supporting documentation
were placed in lignin-free
folders and filed together by subject. All
photographs and slides taken by the
HERITAGE * Fall 1985
Kirklands were ordered by site, numbered
and cataloged and housed in similar protective
conditions. The photographic
record made by Turpin which included
both Ecktachrome transparencies and
stereoptic glass negatives were ordered by
site, placed in lignin-free photographic
envelopes and placed in archival boxes.
The organization of the collections now
allows the researcher to compare a single
site through time or to examine the entirety
of data about one locale according
As more research is done and as more
funds become available, the Museum will
continue the project to make these important
records accessible to researchers. The
work on Texas rock art is ongoing. There
is still much to be learned about when the
art was produced and how it was integrated
into the lives of the cultures that
produced it, and the environments that influenced
it. It is hoped that by making the
efforts of previous scholars available for
study, these points can be addressed with
Jackson, A. T. Picture-Writing of Texas
Indians, Anthropology Papers, The
University of Texas Publication #3809,
Austin, Texas, 1938.
Kirkland, Forrest and W. W. Newcomb.
The Rock Art of Texas Indians, University
of Texas Press, Austin, Texas,
Turpin, Solveig. Seminole Canyon: the
Art andArcheology, Val Verde County,
Texas, Texas Archeological Survey
Research Report #83, University of
Texas, Austin, Texas, 1982.
C. Andrew Causey is a collections assistant
at the Texas Memorial Museum.
He earned his Master's degree in Anthropology
from the University of Texas at
Austin in 1985.
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas Historical Foundation. Heritage, Volume 2, Number 4, Fall 1985, periodical, November 1, 1985; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth45445/m1/17/?rotate=90: accessed April 28, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas Historical Foundation.