Heritage, Volume 2, Number 4, Fall 1985 Page: 5
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
HERITAGE Fall 1985
VOLUME 2 NUMBER 4
HERITAGE magazine is published quarterly by
the Texas Historical Foundation, P.O. Box
12243, Austin, Texas 78711, Copyright October
The opinions expressed by contributing authors
do not necessarily reflect those of the Texas Historical
Foundation. The Texas Historical Foundation
is a private non-profit organization
supported by membership dues, contributions
Unsolicited articles not exceeding 5,000 words
will be accepted for review. All articles pertaining
to Texas' heritage, culture and preservation
activities and issues will be given highest priority.
Deadlines for articles are two months preceding
Publication dates: February 1, May 1, August 1
and November 1.
Printing by the Whitley Co., Austin, Texas.
Editor in Chief: J.P. Bryan, Jr.
Dr. Idris Traylor, Jr.
John Ben Shepperd
Managing Editor: Mark Trowbridge
Production and Art Director: Elizabeth Vair
Dr. John Boles
C. Andrew Causey
TEXAS HISTORICAL FOUNDATION
OFFICERS OF THE FOUNDATION
Mr. John G. Middleton
Chairman of the Board, Wallisville
Mr. J. P. Bryan, Jr.
Mr. William P. Wright, Jr.
Vice President, Abilene
Dr. D. J. Sibley, Jr.
Vice President, Austin
Mrs. Shirley Caldwell
Vice President, Richardson
Mrs. Catherine Knowles
Mr. Brux Austin
BOARD OF DIRECTORS
Mr. Bill Bailey, Jacksonville
Mrs. Jane Barnhill, Brenham
Mr. Percival Beacroft, Jr., Freeport
Mrs. Clare Benckenstein, Beaumont
Mrs. Charles Bybee, Houston
Mr. Everett Fulgham, Marble Falls
Mrs. Joan Hataway, Beaumont
Mr. Robert Hawk, Rockwall
Mrs. Bebe Inkley, San Antonio
Mr. F. Lee Lawrence, Tyler
Mrs. Patricia Lebermann, Austin
Mrs. Doris Luton, Granburv
Mr. Robert Lynch, Galveston
Mr. Mitch Martin, San Antonio
Mr. James W. McElwain, Dallas
Mrs. Beverly Pennington, Houston
Ms. Paula Peters, Dallas
Ms. Margaret Ramage, Corpus Christi
Mrs. Jonathan Rogers, El Paso
Mr. Andrew Sansom, San Antonio
Mr. Pierre Schlumberger, Houston
Mr. John Ben Shepperd, Odessa
Mr. Jerry Susser, Corpus Christi
Dr. Idris Traylor, Jr., Lubbock
Mr. Frank Tritico, Houston
Mrs. Mary Moody Northen, Honorary Member,
Mr. George Christian, Ex-Officio Member,
Leon Lurie, Executive Director
Tanya Fain, Assistant Director for Programs
Mark Trowbridge, Assistant Director for Administration
Richard Pearce-Moses, Historic Photography
Patricia Olvera, Executive Aide
HERITAGE * Fall 1985
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Historic Galveston: A photographic view of the architecture of Texas' oldest city. Photographed by
Richard Payne and text by Geoffrey Leavenworth. Review by Dr. John Boles, Rice University.
Administration of Photographic Collections: A technical manual directed towards archivists,
manuscript curators, librarians, and others who work with historical photographs. By Mary Lynn
Ritzenthaler, Gerald J. Munoff, and Margery S. Long. Reviewed by Richard Pearce-Moses, Historic
Photography Project Coordinator, Texas Historical Foundation.
Texas Rock Art: Sixty Years of Preservation by C. Andrew Causey
In about forty-four counties in the western half of Texas, certain alcoves, caves, and rocky outcrops
are illuminated with the artistic legacy of ancient Indian cultures. But for all their beauty and
cultural importance, these paintings are slowly disappearing.
Preservation News Around the State: Included in this section are listings for workshops, seminars,
funding/grants, important events, and new books in print.
Washington County State Bank: "The Oldest State Bank in Texas" by LaNell Arndt
Operating under Charter number 5, dated August 14, 1905, this bank actually may be considered
State Bank Number One since its four predecessors as state banks have become national banks,
discontinued the banking business, or merged with other institutions, thus leaving the Washington
County State Bank as the oldest state bank now operating in Texas.
Bringing History to Life: The Story Behind Urban Preservation by Alden Stupfel 25
While skyscrapers and contemporary mid-rise office buildings certainly contribute to downtown
commercial success, it is the charming historical structure that embues an area with character and
Matting Works of Art on Paper by Terry Rempel, Conservator
In this article, the author talks about the benefits of matting and provides guidelines for choosing
the appropriate style of housing needed.
In doing research for a family history, Mr. Craig Kennedy came upon a letter from John Sheppard,
Jr. who settled in Jackson County in the 1860's, to a Mr. Whitcomb, the editor of the Charleston,
Missouri Courier. The letter was published March 23, 1860. Here is a graphic account of Texas by
an early settler.
ON THE COVER
Forrest Kirkland and his wife, Lula, took on the absorbing adventure of copying rock art-the
paintings and petroglyphs of Texas Indians-beginning in 1933. The top pictograph was copied
July 16, 1936 at Brown's Ranch in a deep canyon that enters in the Pecos River northeast of
Langtry. The bottom pictograph was copied July 10, 1936 in the Fate Bell Shelter in Seminole
Canyon. The original artwork was painted in watercolors on linen covered paper board by Forrest
Kirkland. The Kirkland collection of Indian Rock Art is now housed in the archival collections at
the Texas Memorial Museum, U.T., Austin. Cover design by Elizabeth Vair.
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas Historical Foundation. Heritage, Volume 2, Number 4, Fall 1985, periodical, November 1, 1985; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth45445/m1/5/: accessed August 19, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas Historical Foundation.