Texas Heritage, Spring 1984 Page: 5
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
l)O ( I
joined his brother at Eagle Island Plantation in
tant general on Sam Houston's staff, earned the
e of the organizers of the first Masonic Lodge in
the first Congress of the Republic.
Anson Jones practiced medicine in both Brazoria
and Columbia, acted as surgeon during the Battle of Velasco,
was chief organizer of the first Masonic Lodge,
served as both representative and senator in the Congress
of the Republic, was a minister to the United States. Called
the "architect of annexation," he was the last president of
Robert and D. G. Mills, wealthy merchants, cotton factors,
planters, shippers, and bankers of Brazoria. The Mills brothers issued bank
notes called "Mills money" that were circulated all over Texas and as far
away as New Orleans.
Henry Smith settled near Brazoria in 1827,
took part in the Battle of Velasco, was elected alcalde
of the Jurisdiction of Brazoria in 1833, was a delegate
to the Convention of 1833, delegate to the Consultation
of 1835 where he was elected governor of the
provisional state government, earning him the title of
"first American governor of Texas." Was named
first secretary of the treasurer of the Republic.
Jane Long, often called the "Mother of Texas," opened a boarding
house in Brazoria in 1832 which soon became the hub of political activity for
the entire colony. It was "destined," according to her biographer, Martha
Ann Turner, "to become the most celebrated (such establishment) in Texas
Branch T. Archer, personal physician to the Whartons, took
part in the Battle of Gonzales, delegate to both the Convention of 1833 and
Consultation of 1835, was elected president of the Consultation, was a
member of the commission sent to seek aid from the United States, was a
member of the First Congress, serving as speaker of the House during the
second session. He is buried at Eagle Island.
Thomas J. Pilgrim, early Texas preacher and educator, known as the
"father of Texas Sunday Schools," opened a school in the settlement of McNeel
and Westall on Gulf Prairie in Brazoria County in 1830. Ten subjects were
offered, tuition varying from one dollar per month to four dollars, according to
the number of subjects which a pupil elected to take. Board and room, including
washing, was from four to six dollars a month.
Brazoria County Historical Commission
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas Historical Foundation. Texas Heritage, Spring 1984, periodical, Spring 1984; (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth45446/m1/11/?rotate=90: accessed September 21, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas Historical Foundation.