Texas Heritage, Spring 1984 Page: 8
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
Historical Sites, continued from pg. 7
FREEDMEN'S TREE This bois 'd arc tree
stands in front of the John Sweeny Plantation
house. Under its branches masters and
slaves from 14 plantations in western Brazoria
County gathered in 1836, the purpose of the
meeting being to free the assembled slaves
officially and.inform them of their rights and
responsibilities as free men. The tree is included
in Famous Trees of Texas.
JOHN SWEENY PLANTATION HOUSE
Though considerably altered, much of the
original house still stands.
LEVI JORDAN PLANTATION HOUSE
Part of the original structure, built in 1854, still
THE MUSEUM The Brazoria County Historical
Museum, housed in an 1897 courthouse
building, tells the story of county history in
chronological order through the use of original
documents, exhibits, dioramas, early
furnishings, and relics of the past.
Most of the following are on the main
street through town:
* Wright-Nash House, medallion
* Bethel Presbyterian Church, medallion
* W. L. Crews House
Masterson Smith House, medallion
* Travis Smith, Sr. House
* S. S. Weems House
* Dr. Weems House, medallion
* Underwood House, medallion
* Slave Cabin in rear of Underwood
* Site of Dance Gun Shop, historical
* Site of Bell's Landing, historical marker
* Replica of First Capitol Building, medallion
* Old Columbia Cemetery, historical
* Varner-Hogg State Park. Turn left off
Brazos Ave. (SH 35) on FM 2852; hst.
* Homesite of Josiah H. Bell, historical
marker. Off SH 36 just south of West
* Site of Battle of Velasco, historical
marker. In front of Coast Guard Sta.
Titlum-Tatlum, historical marker. At
San Luis Pass
* Birchfield-McCowan House, medallion.
* Confederate Cemetery, historical
marker. 1/4 mi. s on Dickinson Rd. SH 35
Additional Cemeteries with Markers
* Damon Cemetery. Damon Mound, off
* Liverpool Cemetery. Liverpool. I mi off
~ CR 171
* Sandy Point Cemetery and monument
to Terry's Texas Rangers. Off FM 521
(old 288) at Sandy Point
* Munson Cemetery, SH 35 at Bailey's
* Phair Cemetery. Oyster Creek, FM 523
* Velasco Cemetery. Near Dow Chemical,
* Masonic Oak, historical marker
* Site of John Austin's home, historical
* Catholic Cemetery, historical marker
* Henry Smith Statue
* Site of home of James W. Fannin,
historical marker. 4 miles SW from
Brazoria on FM 521
Jones Creek Area
* At Peach Point, Austin's office and bedroom,
restored, medallion. SH 36 Gulf
Prairie Cemetery, historical marker. Off
SH 36 near Peach Point
* Varner-Hogg Plantation house, historical
marker. (See West Columbia)
* Site of Eagle Island Plantation, historical
marker. At Restwood Cemetery in Clute.
* Bailey Plantation, two historical markers.
In roadside Park on SH 35 between
Angleton and West Columbia.
* John Sweeny, Jr. Plantation, historical
marker. On SH 35 just south of Old
Ocean. Freedmen's bois'd arc tree in
* Orozimbo, historical marker. N from SH
35 on CR 25, past Columbia Lakes and
Manor Lake (on private property)
* Waldeck. N from SH 35 on CR 25 to CR
13, left to CR 23, then right.
* McCrosky or McClosky Log Residence
(sometimes called Woodlawn) historical
marker. SW on 521 from Brazoria to
Four Forks, left on CR 316. Located
across from Evans Store.
* China Grove (once home of Civil War
general, Albert Sidney Johnston), historical
marker. On FM 521 near Rosharon.
* Chenango Plantation Sugar House. Off
FM 521 at Chenango.
* Oakland, historical marker. On SH 36
near Peach Point.
* Levi Jordan Plantation, historical
marker. FM 521 west out of Brazoria and
continue a short way past Four Forks.
P.O. Box 1222
Angleton, Texas 77515
(409) 849-5711 Ext. 1208
This publication on Brazoria County was made possible by the generosity of the following:
Percival T. Beacroft, Freeport, TX. The Dow Chemical Company, Freeport, TX.
Pollye M. Beacroft Estate, Freeport, TX. First State Bank, in memory of Pollye M. Beacroft,
The Brazosport Facts, Clute, TX. Clute, TX.
J.P. Bryan, Jr. Houston, TX. R.S. McKeithan, Jr., Lake Jackson, TX.
Coastal National Bank, Angleton, TX. James S. Nabors, Lake Jackson, TX.
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas Historical Foundation. Texas Heritage, Spring 1984, periodical, Spring 1984; (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth45446/m1/14/?rotate=90: accessed November 18, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas Historical Foundation.