This system will be undergoing maintenance May 23rd between 9:00AM and 12:00PM CDT.

[North and east side of Main Plaza]

Description

Copy print of Main Plaza, looking north towards Commerce Street across a landscaped park. From the intersection of Main Avenue at the left (west) to the intersection of Soledad Street at the right (east) are: the Wolfson Building, White Elephant Saloon, Chas. J. Langholz Saddles and Harness, an unidentified building, and the Smith Block . Buildings visible on Soledad Street, from top (north) to bottom (south), are: Old Bexar County Courthouse, four-story Kampmann Building, Dannenhauer Building, three unidentified buildings, and L. Frank Saddles and Harness.

Physical Description

1 photograph : b&w ; 8 x 10 in.

Creation Information

Raba, Ernst Wilhelm, 1874-1951 Creation Date: Unknown.

Context

This photograph is part of the collection entitled: The Ernst Wilhelm Raba Photograph Collection and was provided by the San Antonio Conservation Society to The Portal to Texas History, a digital repository hosted by the UNT Libraries. It has been viewed 241 times. More information about this photograph can be viewed below.

Who

People and organizations associated with either the creation of this photograph or its content.

Audiences

Check out our Resources for Educators Site! We've identified this photograph as a primary source within our collections. Researchers, educators, and students may find this photograph useful in their work.

Provided By

San Antonio Conservation Society

The Society documents the history of San Antonio and South Central Texas with an emphasis on the built environment. This history includes photographs of San Antonio street scenes and a few portraits, taken by professional photographer Ernst Raba between c. 1853 and c. 1939.

Contact Us

What

Descriptive information to help identify this photograph. Follow the links below to find similar items on the Portal.

Description

Copy print of Main Plaza, looking north towards Commerce Street across a landscaped park. From the intersection of Main Avenue at the left (west) to the intersection of Soledad Street at the right (east) are: the Wolfson Building, White Elephant Saloon, Chas. J. Langholz Saddles and Harness, an unidentified building, and the Smith Block . Buildings visible on Soledad Street, from top (north) to bottom (south), are: Old Bexar County Courthouse, four-story Kampmann Building, Dannenhauer Building, three unidentified buildings, and L. Frank Saddles and Harness.

Physical Description

1 photograph : b&w ; 8 x 10 in.

Notes

Between 1882 and 1883, local architect Alfred Giles renovated the existing Masonic Lodge No. 44 for use as the new county courthouse, adding its distinctive twin towers. The Kampmann Building began construction in 1883 and became San Antonio's first four-story building. In October of 2011, fire destroyed the Wolfson Building.

Language

Item Type

Identifier

Unique identifying numbers for this photograph in the Portal or other systems.

Collections

This photograph is part of the following collection of related materials.

The Ernst Wilhelm Raba Photograph Collection

Photos by early San Antonio artist Ernst Raba. The bulk of the materials documents the changing landscape of the city in the late 1800s - early 1900s. Funded by San Antonio Conservation Society's Capital Club.

What responsibilities do I have when using this photograph?

When

Dates and time periods associated with this photograph.

Dates

  • This photograph's creation, acceptance, or submission date is unknown.

Start & End Dates

  • 1886 - 1887

Added to The Portal to Texas History

  • Aug. 6, 2014, 8:27 p.m.

Description Last Updated

  • Oct. 17, 2014, 11:46 a.m.

Usage Statistics

When was this photograph last used?

Yesterday: 0
Past 30 days: 2
Total Uses: 241

Where

Geographical information about where this photograph originated or about its content.

Coordinates

  • 29.424295, -98.493704

Map Information

  • map marker Precise coordinates.
  • map marker Place Name coordinates. (May be approximate.)
  • Repositioning map may be required for optimal printing.

Mapped Locations

Interact With This Photograph

Here are some suggestions for what to do next.

Start Viewing

International Image Interoperability Framework

IIF Logo

We support the IIIF Presentation API

Raba, Ernst Wilhelm, 1874-1951. [North and east side of Main Plaza], photograph, Date Unknown; (https://texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth460069/: accessed May 23, 2024), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, https://texashistory.unt.edu; crediting San Antonio Conservation Society.

Back to Top of Screen