[Dullnig Building]

Description

Photograph of the east and south facades of the George Dullnig Building, taken looking northwest at the corner of Alamo and Commerce Streets. The Riverside Building is visible on the far left. Part of the sign for Ernst Raba's photography studio can be seen just below the roof of the turret.

Physical Description

1 photograph : b&w ; 8 x 10 in.

Creation Information

Raba, Ernst Wilhelm, 1874-1951 Creation Date: Unknown.

Context

This photograph is part of the collection entitled: The Ernst Wilhelm Raba Photograph Collection and was provided by the San Antonio Conservation Society to The Portal to Texas History, a digital repository hosted by the UNT Libraries. It has been viewed 1056 times. More information about this photograph can be viewed below.

Who

People and organizations associated with either the creation of this photograph or its content.

Audiences

Check out our Resources for Educators Site! We've identified this photograph as a primary source within our collections. Researchers, educators, and students may find this photograph useful in their work.

Provided By

San Antonio Conservation Society

The Society documents the history of San Antonio and South Central Texas with an emphasis on the built environment. This history includes photographs of San Antonio street scenes and a few portraits, taken by professional photographer Ernst Raba between c. 1853 and c. 1939.

Contact Us

What

Descriptive information to help identify this photograph. Follow the links below to find similar items on the Portal.

Description

Photograph of the east and south facades of the George Dullnig Building, taken looking northwest at the corner of Alamo and Commerce Streets. The Riverside Building is visible on the far left. Part of the sign for Ernst Raba's photography studio can be seen just below the roof of the turret.

Physical Description

1 photograph : b&w ; 8 x 10 in.

Notes

Architect J. Riely Gordon designed the Clifford Building, which was constructed in 1893. It later became known as the Riverside (around 1902) & then the Royalty Coin Building after the 1980s. Photographer Ernst Raba moved to the Riverside Building in 1919.

James Murphy designed the Dullnig Building, ca. 1883.

All entries on Commerce Street are labeled without East or West, since the original dividing line moved four blocks west from the river to Main Street between 1969 and 1970.

Language

Item Type

Identifier

Unique identifying numbers for this photograph in the Portal or other systems.

Collections

This photograph is part of the following collection of related materials.

The Ernst Wilhelm Raba Photograph Collection

Photos by early San Antonio artist Ernst Raba. The bulk of the materials documents the changing landscape of the city in the late 1800s - early 1900s. Funded by San Antonio Conservation Society's Capital Club.

What responsibilities do I have when using this photograph?

When

Dates and time periods associated with this photograph.

Dates

  • This photograph's creation, acceptance, or submission date is unknown.

Added to The Portal to Texas History

  • Aug. 6, 2014, 8:27 p.m.

Description Last Updated

  • Sept. 9, 2015, 2:47 p.m.

Usage Statistics

When was this photograph last used?

Yesterday: 0
Past 30 days: 0
Total Uses: 1,056

Where

Geographical information about where this photograph originated or about its content.

Coordinates

  • 29.423755, -98.487356

Map Information

  • map marker Precise coordinates.
  • map marker Place Name coordinates. (May be approximate.)
  • Repositioning map may be required for optimal printing.

Mapped Locations

Interact With This Photograph

Here are some suggestions for what to do next.

Start Viewing

International Image Interoperability Framework

IIF Logo

We support the IIIF Presentation API

Raba, Ernst Wilhelm, 1874-1951. [Dullnig Building], photograph, Date Unknown; (https://texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth460129/: accessed July 17, 2026), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, https://texashistory.unt.edu; crediting San Antonio Conservation Society.

Back to Top of Screen