[Hereford District School Histories] Page: 1
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
Hereford High School, 1926-1954; Stanton Junior High, 1954-1988; Pre-K and Central
Office Annex, 1988-1993; Stanton Learning Center, 1988-present
In 1947, Hereford Rural High School District was organized, as was Hereford's first
junior high. Hereford Junior High was opened at mid-term of the 1946-47 school year.
The classes were held in barricks that had been moved from the local Prisoner of War
Camp and placed where the present Stanton gym is located. The barracks were
placed end to end in two rows running east to west, with an approximate 16'
concrete walk which served as a hallway between the two rows of buildings.
H.V.Stanton, who had been a teacher and football coach at Hereford High School
was the first principal of the new junior high. Stanton continued coaching while
serving as principal until 1949, when he became full-time principal. He served in this
capacity until his death in the spring of 1954, shortly after the new high school
building was opened and the junior high students had moved into the present Stanton
building. The building was re-named in Stanton's honor.
By the mid-twenties, many of the county schools were closing with most of the
students transferring to Hereford, thus causing the need for more classrooms. During
this time and later in the mid-forties, many transfers were denied due to lack of
space. Teachers' salaries ranged from $100 to $140 per month in 1926.
In 1925, a bond issue in the amount of $128,000 was approved for the construction
of a new high school building. At that time, due to increased enrollment, high school
classes were being held in the college building which the district had purchased in
1916. The bond was for 40 years at 5%. Election was held on May 12, 1925, "for the
purpose of equiping(sic) a free school building of brick, stone and concrete material."
The vote passed 274-42. Five and one-half acres of land was purchased at the present
location -Park Avenue and Avenue F. Bids were submitted for clearing the land of a
dwelling, barn, coal house, wash house and fencing. A bid for $5000 was accepted.
Board members at the time were E.S. Ireland, President; C.O.Lee, H.G Conkwright,
J.T.Gilbreath, J.O. Newell, J.W.Houston and E.B.Posey, Secretary. C.H. Dillehay was
The contract price for the building: $102,060.00; furniture and equipment$6,245.22;
stage scenery and equipment-$900.00; extra border lights-$23.00; window
screens-$1000.00; cork for 25 blackboards- $100.00; earthquake insurance- $9.37; 42
extra window lights- $15.75; extra door-$25.00. Excess over bonded amount was
taken from local building fund.
Here’s what’s next.
This text can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Text.
Waters, Carolyn. [Hereford District School Histories], text, November 2003; (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth46553/m1/1/: accessed April 25, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Deaf Smith County Library.