Legacies: A History Journal for Dallas and North Central Texas, Volume 20, Number 2, Fall, 2008 Page: 12 of 68
This periodical is part of the collection entitled: Legacies: a History Journal for Dallas and North Central Texas and was provided to The Portal to Texas History by the Dallas Historical Society.
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
Granbury, was principal of the business department
and taught bookkeeping, penmanship
and business arithmetic. Switzer daughters
Davida, Maude, and Grace later served in faculty
positions instructing music, history and
Tuition varied according to the grade level
of the student. Additional fees were added for
special lessons and supplies in penmanship,
music, voice culture and art. Children of ministers
"in the regular work" or young men
preparing for the ministry were given "liberal
tuition discounts." Cash payment was preferred,
but a note, with security, was also available
for tuition payment.41
Upon his hiring, the Board of Trustees
granted to the President Switzer "all the revenues
arising from tuition in full compensation
for his services, fuel,janitors hire and such
other expenses as are necessary for the support
and maintenance of the school."42 This was
quite a burden for Switzer as teacher salaries
were also paid from tuition funds.43 Adding to
Switzer's financial stress, tuition and subscriptions
were often not paid in a timely manner.
The Board on occasion employed collection
agents to collect overdue subscription payments.44
Switzer's concern over finances is
emphasized by his request for endowment
funds published in Weatherford College catalogs.
"Let every friend in his own way set aside
a part of his fortune, though small it may be,
for a permanent fund to perpetuate the pros
perity and enlarge the usefulness of
Of the 227 students attendingWeatherford
College during its first session, 97 were from
out-of-town.46 Students hailed from neighboring
counties, distant points in Texas and the
Indian Territory, Kentucky, and Mississippi.
Boarding of students was vital to the stability
ofWeatherford College.The catalog described
the boarding program:
Suitable places will be provided for the
young men, but all the young ladies will be
expected to room at the College Home,
which will be under the direct care and
oversight of the President, who will see that
every young lady has the attention which is
so necessary to her sex.47
Switzer pressed the issue of building a
boarding home for girls with his Board of
Trustees on three occasions in 1890. Disgusted
with the Board's reticence, the president submitted
his resignation, saying he could not
succeed without such a facility. Switzer and his
Board reached a compromise which he later
termed "unwise" on his part. He added the
Young Ladies Home on to his own residence,
"encumbering himself with a heavy burden
for a schoolman."48
In June 1891, Switzer reported a total of
295 students, a number that could be doubled
with "suitable accommodations." He stated
that the school was in a "flourishing condition
with bright prospects for another
year." It was at that meeting that the
Board resolved that an additional
school building was needed, setting in
motion an effort to build what
became "Old Main."49
Weatherford College faculty members
were photographed in front of "Old Main"
circa 1895-1901. From left are Grace
Switzer, Josie Middlebrook, Reverend
Burkhead, N.E. Adams, David S. Switzer,
Rebecca Mays Switzer, unidentified, Dr.
Edwin Rankin, and Davida Switzer.
IO LEGACIES Fall 2008
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Dallas Heritage Village. Legacies: A History Journal for Dallas and North Central Texas, Volume 20, Number 2, Fall, 2008, periodical, 2008; Dallas, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth46806/m1/12/: accessed February 22, 2019), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Dallas Historical Society.