Heritage, Volume 11, Number 2, Spring 1993 Page: 22
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
A Texas Historical Foundation grant provided the printing of the Texas Historical Commission's "Ydoiaga's
Report to the Viceroy of Spain." Pictured at the presentation are, from left: State Archaeologist Bob Mallouf;
THF President John Meadows; THF Executive Director Jackie Stocker; and THC Director Curtis Tunnell.
Historic Tyler Sells
1881 Smith County Jail
Historic Tyler, Inc. has sold the historic
1881 Smith County jail to a Tyler attorney
who plans to restore the landmark and use
it for office space.
The property, which later housed the
Lewis Hotel, has been acquired by Randal
B. Gilbert, a Historic Tyler member active
in historical research and preservation.
The original two-story structure at 309
East Erwin Street was built in 1881 at a cost
of$ 11,789 as the third of seven jails used by
Smith County since 1848. It was designed
by Eugene L. Heiner of Houston and
originally featured a blend ofItalianate and
French Second Empire with a cornice and
In 1916, when the county moved the
jail to a larger site to accommodate greater
needs, a former jailer, Jefferson Lewis, purchased
and converted the building into a
Located just off Tyler's bustling downtown
square, the Lewis Hotel was in service
through the city's oil boom years of the
1930s and '40s. It eventually fell into disuse
and was condemned by the city in 1984.
Facing demolition, it was purchased by
Historic Tyler in 1986.
Governor Appoints Four to
Governor Ann Richards recently ap
pointed four individuals to the Texas Historical
Commission: Jan Felts Bullock of
Austin; Virginia Long of Kilgore; John
Liston Nau III of Houston; and Rose
Trevifio of Laredo.
Trevifio, an archaeologist, is a new
member of the Texas Historical Foundation
Board of Directors.
Island's Oldest Home and
Local "Castle" Featured on
Galveston Historic Homes
Tour This May
The 19th annual Galveston Historic
Homes Tour is set for May 1, 2, 8, and 9,
1993. Among the 10 private, restored residences
on this year's tour are the Greek
Revival 1838-39 Michel Menard Home,
the oldest surviving house on Galveston
Island. The tour also showcases the 1890
John C. Trube Home. Dubbed "the strangest
house in a city of strange houses," the
Trube home was inspired by a medieval
Home Tour hours are 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
both Saturdays, May 1 and 8, and noon to
6 p.m. both Sundays, May 2 and 9. Tickets
are $15 per person and include all 10 residences
on tour and free shuttle transportation
between the houses. Tickets may be
purchased the day of the tour at each home
on the tour as well as The Strand Visitors
Center, 2016 Strand, and Ashton Villa,
Advance purchase discount tickets will
be on sale for $13 per person through Friday,
April 30. For information or to order
tickets by phone, call Galveston Historical
Foundation at (409) 765-7834 or (713)
L. A 4j A
Ann McDonald, right, a member of the Texas Historical Foundation Board of Directors, presents a check
from THF to Verna Anne Wheeler of the Pioneer Memorial Museum in Crosbyton. The grant will help in
the identification and classification of a Native American artifact collection. Photo by Ben Gillespie.
22 HERITAGE * SPRING 1993
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Texas Historical Foundation. Heritage, Volume 11, Number 2, Spring 1993, periodical, Spring 1993; Austin, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth46808/m1/22/: accessed August 21, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas Historical Foundation.