A Memorial and Biographical History of Navarro, Henderson, Anderson, Limestone, Freestone and Leon Counties, Texas Page: 14
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
HISTORY OF NAVARRO, HENDERSON, ANDER'ON,
eastern boundary of the State from the
thirty-third parallel of latitude to the
Gulf of Mexico. The Spaniards called it
Adaes, but in 1718 De Alarconne called it
Rio de San Francisco de Sabinas. The
Angelina and Nueces rivers enter Sabine
lake. Trinity river has been variously
called. The Indians named it Arkokisa
and La Salle called it River of Canoes,
because he had to procure canoes to cross
it. The San Jacinto empties into Galveston
bay, after forming a junction with
Buffalo bayou. The Brazos has been ascended
in boats 600 miles to the falls near
Marlin. The Spaniards are said to have
given the name Colorado to the Brazos,
but by some means the names were interchanged.
The San Bernard and Caney
creeks have been navigated, the first for
about twenty miles and the latter about
seventy. In 1847 a small steamboat, built
above the obstructions at the mouth of the
Colorado river, ascended that stream to
the falls above Austin, 600 miles. The
Indian name for this stream was Pasho
hono, and tradition has it that a party of
Spanish explorers, after nearly famishing
for water, suddenly came upon this river
and reverently kneeling called it Brazos de
Dios-" Arm of God." The Navidad and
its confluent is navigable thirty miles, to
Texana, and the Guadalupe has been navigated
seventy miles, to Victoria. Its principal
western. branch is the San Antonio,
which is sometimes called the Medina.
The Nueces river is navigable for small
vessels up to the vicinity of San Patricio.
The Rio Grande, so prominent in the annals
of Texas and her struggles with Mexico,
and forming the boundary between the
two, is navigable for 500 miles, to Comargo.
The stream bears three names.
At Santa Fe it is called Rio del Norte; at
Reinosa it is the Rio Bravo.
Tie elevations in Texas shown on the
old maps at a time when guessing as to
the character of a country was in vogue and
were largely the result of imagination or
highly colored descriptions given by persons
who had seen these "mountains"
from a long distance. While some of
them are mountains, as stated previously,
yet if they were in a mountainous region
they would be called hills. The early
maps had the Tehuacana mountains in
Limestone county; Colorado mountains,
above Austin; Guadalupe mountains in
Kerr county; Pack Saddle and other peaks
in Llano county. Later maps have Double
mountain at the northwest corner of Jones
county; White Sand Hills in Tom Green
county; Cheuate and other peaks in Presidio
county; and Eagle mountains in El
Paso county. One of the highest points
in the State, the top of one of the spurs
of what is called the Guadalupe range, is
5,000 feet above the sea level, but it must
not be understood that these spurs are
anywhere near that figure from their
bases. They are very modest and do not
hold their heads very high. Red river, at
the mouth of the Big Wichita, has an elevation
of about 900 feet; San Antonio,
600; Austin, 600; Castroville, 767; Fort
Duncan, 800; Fort Lincoln, 900; Fort
Inge, 845; Fort Clark, 1,000; Round
Rock, 1,145; Fort Chadbnrn, 2,120; Phantom
Hill, 2,300; Fredericksburg, 1,500;
Here’s what’s next.
This book can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Book.
Lewis Publishing Company. A Memorial and Biographical History of Navarro, Henderson, Anderson, Limestone, Freestone and Leon Counties, Texas, book, 1893; Chicago, Illinois. (https://texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth46827/m1/16/: accessed May 22, 2019), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, https://texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Palestine Public Library.