A Memorial and Biographical History of Navarro, Henderson, Anderson, Limestone, Freestone and Leon Counties, Texas Page: 60
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
HISTORY OF NAVARRO, HENDERSON, ANDERSON,
erals Lee, Johnston and Taylor, in April
and early in May, a battle was fought in
Texas, where the struggle was still prolonged.
Public meetings were held and
resolutions adopted to continue the war.
A large Federal force was set in motion
against Texas under Sheridan, but on May
26 Kirby Smith surrendered his commTand
to (eneral Canby, before the Unionists had
reached their destination.
Meantime, on May 13, the engagement
above alluded to, the last scene in tle war,
was fought near the old battlefield of Palo
Alto, the scene of Taylor's victory over
Arista. In this, the Confederates were attacked
at Palmetto early in the morning of
the 12th, by 300 men under Lieutenant
Colonel Bronson and driven from their
camp, and a number of their horses and cattle
captured. Bronson then fell back, and on
the 13th was joined by Lieutenant Colonel
Morrison, with 200 men. The Confederates,
commanded by General J. E. Slaughter,
had again assembled at Palmetto rancho
in force. Colonel Barrett now assumed
command of the Federal force in person,
and again drove the enemy from their position.
About four o'clock in the afternoon,
however, the Federals were assailed in
front by a strong body of infantry with six
twelve-pounders,while a squadron of cavalry
succeeded, under cover of the chaparral, in
flanking them. Barrett's position was
critical, and retreat was his only alternative.
For three hours a running fight was
maintained without the Confederates being
able to break the Federal line, and at sunset
they retired. The last shot of the
Civil war had been fired.
After the formal surrender of Smith and
Magruder, Governor Murrah retired to
Mexico and on June 19, 1865, General
Granger, of the United States army, assumed
temporary command. On the 17th
of that month President Johnson, in pursuance
of his plan of reconstruction, appointed
Andrew J. Hamilton provisional
governor of Texas. As a preliminary step
to the reorganization of the subdued States,
the president had removed, on April 29,
certain comtnercial restrictions, and on May
29 issued a proclamation granting an amnesty,
with certain exceptions, to persons
wlo had been engaged in the rebellion, on
condition of their taking an oath of allegiance.
The provisional governor arrived at Galveston
at the end of July. He was clothed
with the power to reorganize the State
government, assemble a convention of citizens
who had taken the amnesty oath, and
provide for the election of representatives
to the national Congress. State, district
and county officers were appointed, and
under the circumstances Governor Hamilton
gave general satisfaction. The antiUnion
portion of the community, however,
began to grow anxious as they
watched the action of the president. It
was feared by them that Hamilton was
more an agent of Johnson than the real
governor of Texas, and the leniency displayed
toward the (onfederates could only
be regarded by the keen observer as exceedingly
friendly toward them.
The all absorbing question was the
future condition of the freedmen. Werethey
to enjoy the rights of citizenship
Here’s what’s next.
This book can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Book.
Lewis Publishing Company. A Memorial and Biographical History of Navarro, Henderson, Anderson, Limestone, Freestone and Leon Counties, Texas, book, 1893; Chicago, Illinois. (https://texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth46827/m1/62/: accessed May 27, 2019), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, https://texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Palestine Public Library.