A Memorial and Biographical History of Navarro, Henderson, Anderson, Limestone, Freestone and Leon Counties, Texas Page: 82
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
HISTORY OF NAVARRO, HENDERSON, ANDERSON,
he sent to the State of Colorado to have
polished, some in part and some entire,
which are now the wonder and admiration
of all who behold them. They were all
found in the form of water-rolled pebbles,
some on the surface turned up by the
plowshare, and some under it at various
depths down to six feet, imbedded in a
hard, tough. sticky, ferruginous clay,
mixed with coarse gravel and sand, and
with pebbles of quartz, flint, quartzite.
sandstone, oyster shells, silicified wood and
divers other siliceous minerals; fossils,
coral, two specimens of the corallurn rubrum,
precious coral, and one of the Fungia
echinata species, with some other specimens
named by Prof. Dana cabbage coral
species. Not being a learned geologist or
mineralogist, he may be mistaken in his
classification of these fossils, but he thinks
he is correct. He also has a specimen of
amber, a rounded nodule, oxydized,
weighing a little over two ounces; arrowheads,
a large variety,-a rare, curious
and interesting collection, indeed, all the
the handiwork of prehistoric man, he believes,
with other evidences of his work,
bult do not know for what purpose they
were made or to what use or uses they
The Indian life of the Navarro region
was so comparatively uninteresting in the
earlier days, because it was so far from the
entering places of immigrants. These
were near the San Antonio road, the north
trail from Nacogdoches, and the upper
Red, or rather the middle Red river. Then,
too, the Indians headquartered here but
little, although they hunted a great deal.
Then, again, this was the border line between
the woodland and the prairie Indians,
consequently not so safe a place for
headquarters, as these two classes of Indians
were further estranged by the fact
that the woodland Indians were supposed
to be friendly to the whites, while those of
the prairies were always ready for their
scalps. "The Trinity river at that time,"
says an old resident of the Neches river
saline settlement of 1832 to '36, inclusive,
near the southeast edge of Henderson
county, "Was considered a line of demarcation
for hostilities between the white
and red man. Indeed it was the Rubicon
of Texas." The Cherokees, Shawnees,
Kickapoos, Delawares, Caddoes, Ionies and
Anadarcoes were east of the Trinity, while
the Tehuacanas and Keechis, backed by
the Wacoes, all subject to raids by the
trans-Brazos Comanches, were west of the.
Trinity, the former with headquarters in
the counties immediately below. Indian
events here previous to the revolution of
'36, are very few and far between, as far
as white interest in them is concerned.
Probably the only white man residing in
the region of the Tehuacanas, west of the
Trinity, was James Hall down in Freestone
in 1834, and his trading house became a
sort of supply station to the surveyors that
began to arrive about that time. It was
during this year that the first survey was
made in the territory now embraced in
Navarro county. It was cut out as an independent
survey by that shrewd old
American who became an omnipresent
gobbler of choice pieces of Mexican-Texas
land, especially in that part of it over which
Here’s what’s next.
This book can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Book.
Lewis Publishing Company. A Memorial and Biographical History of Navarro, Henderson, Anderson, Limestone, Freestone and Leon Counties, Texas, book, 1893; Chicago, Illinois. (https://texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth46827/m1/84/: accessed May 21, 2019), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, https://texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Palestine Public Library.