A Memorial and Biographical History of Navarro, Henderson, Anderson, Limestone, Freestone and Leon Counties, Texas Page: 902
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
HS,' TORY OF NA-4 VARRO ENDER, ANDERSON,
. b'5/)jl \I(1lAM WRIU IIT, deceased, is
t I': the honored subject of this memorial
sketch. For thirty-seven years
he was a citizen of Andel(lrson county, beinl,
one of her pioneers and a man of in(l
ustrious life and irrep roaclable character.
Ile was a native of Nortli Carolina, born
in 1810, but was reared al nlirly in Georgia,
in wliicl State he was twice married, and
from that State he subsequently moved to
The date of the settlement of Mr.Wright
in this State was 1810, that being the time
wllen lie took up his residence in Anderson
county. Tltis was six years before the
county was organized, and many years liefore
it could ill aly sense be said to be
well settled. All the families tlen in the
county lived at old Fort IHouston, and they
numbered probably not more than a dozen.
For the first six months, Mr. Wright resided
with his family at tile fort. Hte then
selected a claim on the Wells League,
which had previously been located by the
Lumpkin family in 1839, but was abandolled
and the buildings were burned by
the Indians thle same year.
Mr. Wright was the first, or among the
first, who moved out there and held his
ground against the Indians. That same
fall Major Joseph Pinson settled with his
family near, and soon afterward Mr. Lumpkin
and Samuel Wells built houses near
each other so that they might be in supporting
distance of each other in case of
an attack by the Indians. Mr. Wright
and Major Pinson erected a number of
buildings, soine of them rather large and
pretentious for that day, and as all of them
were covered with new pine boards made
a considerable show at a distance, and on
this account more than once prevented the
Indians from making attacks, they supposing
that all the buildings were occupied
and would thus be able to show a pretty
good fighting force. At any rate this was
the reason they afterward gave to General
Houston at the signing of the Treaty of
1842, when asked why they had not molested
Mr. Wright during the raids on the
settlements in that locality. Among the
other buildings erected by Mr. Wright and
Major Pinson at that time was a large
cotton gin, possibly the first put up in the
This gin did a considerable business
then and for years afterward, being patronized
as the country settled up, from
points now in Henderson, Cherokee and
Houston counties. Later Mr. Wright
added a gristmill to the cotton gin, the
stones for which were taken from a quarry
about six miles southwest of Palestine,
and were gotten out and dressed by a man
named Baker, who was afterward known
as "Rock-cut" Baker. These stones are
still in the county, and would be a valuable
addition to a collection of early-day
relics, and ought for this reason to be looked
after by those interested in preserving the
" old landmarks."
Mr. Wright was engaged in farming,
stock-raising, ginning and milling, in all
of which he met with reasonable success.
The simple ways of living at that day dispensed
with the necessity of great accumulations,
but his resources were ample and
he lived well. Being a man of good intelligence,
public-spirited and successful
in the management of his own affairs, he
Here’s what’s next.
This book can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Book.
Lewis Publishing Company. A Memorial and Biographical History of Navarro, Henderson, Anderson, Limestone, Freestone and Leon Counties, Texas, book, 1893; Chicago, Illinois. (https://texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth46827/m1/916/: accessed July 18, 2019), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, https://texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Palestine Public Library.