A History of Lipscomb County Page: 35
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
1907, according to a record in the Lipscomb County
Courthouse.) Wm. H. Bristol was appointed March
23, 1892 and Jonathan R. Skinner on June 4, of the
None of the people interviewed knew where
these men lived and where the post offices were
during that period, but most of them remembered
them or had heard of them. It seems quite evident
that these men lived on their land as squatters and
had not filed on their land at that time.
Miss Catherine B. Gigger (Gadberry) was
appointed postmaster June 28, 1894 and she resided
at the Isaiah Gigger place - Sec. 174, Block 10, 6
miles east of what is now Follett, with her family.
The house was located in the middle of the section
on the north bank of Ivanhoe Creek. Her brothers,
Emmery and Fred carried the mail on horseback
from Higgins, Texas.
Wm. Boddy was appointed postmaster July 16,
1895. He lived on Sec. 92, Bl. 10, one mile northwest
of the Gigger place on Ivanhoe Creek and the old
sod house is still standing, although it is now
encased with siding. This is now the Glen (Dolly)
The Mable, Texas post office was discontinued
and moved to Shadeland post office November 18,
Mammoth, Texas - Shadeland, Texas
George Walton, son of George W., was appointed
postmaster of Mammoth, Texas, April 26, 1890
while he lived in a dugout on a tributary of Mammoth
Creek on Sec. 874, Bl. 43, eight miles south
and one east of Follett. The post office was named
for Mammoth Creek by the Studer family of Canadian
who resided there before they moved to Cana
dian in the late eighties, after the railroad had been
built into Canadian. They chose the name Mammoth
after they had found and dug up some mammoth
fossils on the banks of the creek.
Mr. Henry Gard was appointed postmaster and
changed the name of the post office to Shadeland,
Texas, January 12, 1894. Mr. Gard lived on the
north bank of Mammoth Creek on Sec. 884, Bl. 43,
four miles northeast of the original Mammoth Post
Office. Gard was postmaster until September 1,
1909, when Thomas W. Crawford was appointed
and moved the office to his home (Sec. 877, Bl. 43).
one mile south of Gard's.
Hiram Clarke, the father of Beatrice Clarke
Dixon, a one time Lipscomb County Treasurer, was
appointed postmaster December 7, 1911 and moved
the office to his home one mile south on Sec. 795,
Anna Olson was appointed postmaster of Shadeland,
November 15, 1913, and had this post until
July 15, 1916, when it was discontinued and moved
to Higgins, Texas. The last location of Shadeland
was Sec. 882, B1. 43, six miles east and seven south
of Follett. Here we might mention that Will Walton
was one of the mail carriers on horseback that
carried the mail to Shadeland.
Mitchell Post Office was located between Higgins
and Lipscomb. The first postmaster was Geo.
W. Mitchell, appointed July 28, 1888; Geo. R. Rowland
was appointed July 20, 1889; James T. Sparks,
Jan. 8, 1892. Discontinued and transferred to Lipscomb
Nailton, located five miles east and 1/2 miles
Here’s what’s next.
This book can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Book.
Lipscomb County Historical Survey Committee. A History of Lipscomb County, book, Date Unknown; Lipscomb, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth46830/m1/39/: accessed January 21, 2019), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; .