A History of Lipscomb County Page: 36
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
M. H. "Mack" Gard.
south of Booker, was named for Richard "Dick"
Nail of Higgins. Dick owned three sections of land
in the vicinity and was one of the early cattlemen.
He built the first stock-water dams on the dry
flats, some of which are still in evidence. He was
one of the first ranchers to feed oil cake in the winter.
It is said that Dick would carry some cake on
his saddle horse while riding the pasture, and if he
encountered an animal that was down or in
extremely bad condition, he would flip a few
chunks of cake to the animal. He had a lot of faith
in a little extra protein. Alva L. Clarke, who had a
country store at the location, was appointed postmaster
June 14, 1920. The name of this post office
was changed to GAYLORD on July 21, 1920, to
honor a Santa Fe Railroad official. The post office
was discontinued December 16, 1922 and the mail
was sent to Booker.
Prenter was located at Twin Groves, Section 856,
Block 43, five miles east and nine miles south of
Booker. James K. Paine, the grandfather of Laurin
and Sim Paine was appointed postmaster November
28, 1904; A. L. Solander, Mrs. Ila Suess' father,
was appointed postmaster March 5, 1905 and
moved the office to his home on Section 816, Block
43, two miles southeast of Twin Groves. The office
was discontinued June 16, 1905 and the mail was
sent to Lipscomb.
Royal was in Morton's Store, about five miles
west of Lipscomb, where First Creek runs into
Wolf Creek, on the 7K Ranch. Wesley Morton was
appointed postmaster May 24, 1888. William Hopper,
father of Allie "High" Hopper and Mrs. Cora
Nagel, and grandfather of Cleo Egglestom, bought
Morton's Store in 1889 and was appointed postmaster
December 3, 1889. He served until August 2,
1890 when the office was discontinued and was
transferred to Lipscomb. Mrs. Cora Hopper Nagel,
as a young girl, hauled the mail from Lipscomb to
William J. Hennigh was appointed postmaster of
Stillwater, Texas, June 22, 1903, four years after
Mable, Texas had been discontinued. Stillwater
post office was located in Mr. Hennigh's home on
Sec. 91, Bl. 10, one mile east of where the Mable,
Texas post office had been in 1899. The house is
still standing on the north east bank of Ivanhoe
Mr. Hennigh kept the post office until March 31,
1911, when it was discontinued and moved to
Timms City, Texas
Timms City, named for a Kansas capitalist,
received its first post office with the appointment
of Joshua T. Sedwick as postmaster on December 2,
1887. By that time Timms City had a hotel, livery
stable, department store (owned and operated by
W. F. Peugh, later of Higgins), several saloons and
a blacksmith shop owned and operated by Martin
"Madson" Madison, who operated a blacksmith
shop afterwards in Higgins and during the 1920's
in Booker. A newspaper was also printed in Timms
City. The Kelleys, Solanders, John Duke (later Lipscomb
County Judge), Jesse Evans, the Weavers,
the Wilders and the Bowens came by this townsite
in 1886 on their way to their new homes on First
and Second Creeks. Charley Bowen arid his wife
Elizabeth Mills Bowen settled on Bowen Creek, in a
dugout two miles northwest of Timms City, before
they finally moved further west to their place
south of Booker. Timms City was located on Section
1036, Block 43, near Kiowa Creek, eight miles
east and four miles south of Booker. John Wanger
was appointed postmaster August 28, 1889. Dennis
Collins, in a book he published after his Texas days,
wrote, "When we got to Timms City in 1890, all the
houses were empty and we selected the empty
hotel for living quarters. Soon a delegation of cattlemen
came and asked me to be postmaster, and
my wife agreed to serve." She was appointed
August 25, 1890, and served until the post office
was discontinued January 25, 1892, and the mail
was transferred to Lipscomb. Mrs. Collins had an
income of $1.30 the last three months that she
served as postmaster. In the year 1889 the government
opened some Indian land near Oklahoma City
Here’s what’s next.
This book can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Book.
Lipscomb County Historical Survey Committee. A History of Lipscomb County, book, Date Unknown; Lipscomb, Texas. (https://texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth46830/m1/40/: accessed March 18, 2019), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, https://texashistory.unt.edu; .