[Historic Marker Application: Walter Tips House] Page: 21 of 44
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
The original kitchen was moved to the basement of the house in
189850 when Tips' oldest daughter, Mrs. Laura Tips Scherding, was
widowed. She and her two children moved into the original kitchen
wing of the Tips home which was converted into an apartment for
them, with the addition of a bathroom and a dumbwaiter in the
butler's pantry from the basement so that food would reach the
The house appears to have undergone a major remodeling in
1909 when the front gallery was extended, wrapping around what
is now the southeast corner of the house. One of the floor joists
in the new section of the downstairs gallery was marked "Nalle & Co",
a lumber company established in 1871 by Joseph Nalle47 in Austin
until 1930.48 The elaborate wainscoting of pressed paper gracing
the entry hall, following the stair wall up and throughout the hall
above was probably added during this remodeling as wallpaper and
plaster was found behind it, as it was in the dining room behind
the fireplace mantel and panelled wainscoting. The 1903 Nalle &
Co. "Complete Pocket Catalogue"49 shows similar products to those
used in the Tips House, though the original design of the porch
railings was retained, rather than switch to one of the more modern
designs listed in the catalogue. An iron-clad garage was added.49a
behind the house on the alley in 1910 to house the two automobiles.
When Robert Penn Fowler came into possession of the property
the original clapboard siding already had been covered by asbestos
siding, with the railings on the second story gallery and widow's
walk missing The house had been divided for use as apartments
and offices. Some time around 1936 Theo P. Meyer, Sr., had the
asbestos siding installed, and widened and divided the entrance to
50Personal interview with Mamie Tips Von Kramer, youngest
daughter of Walter Tips, November, 1974.
51Ibid. Also interview with Walter H. Tips, grandson of
Walter Tips, August, 1975.
47Austin Public Library, Austin-Travis County Collection,
file on "Nalle Lumber Co.".
49"Complete Pocket Catalogue of Nalle & Co. Lumber Yard and
Planning Mill", 1903, Austin-Travis County Collection.
49aTravis County Deed Records, Vol. 362, p. 245.
52Personal interview with Robert Penn Fowler, owner of Tips
House and carriage house in recent years.
52aPersonal interview with Theo P. Meyer, Jr., son of Theo P.
Meyer, October, 1975.
Here’s what’s next.
This text can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Text.
Texas Historical Commission. [Historic Marker Application: Walter Tips House], text, 1975~; (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth491536/m1/21/: accessed June 24, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Texas Historical Commission.