[Texas Historical Commission Marker: St. James Methodist Church]

Description

Photograph of Texas Historical Commission Marker for St. James Methodist Church in Waco, Texas. Text: One of Waco's oldest churches, St. James Methodist Church was organized in 1874 by Father Anderson Brack (d. 1905). From the first worship services, conducted in a house near the Brazos River that served as a school for the black community, the congregation built several sanctuaries before completing work on this building in 1924. Designed in a modified Gothic revival style, it features decorative brickwork, pointed arch windows, and octagonal towers. For over a century, the congregation of St. James has been active in missionary ... continued below

Physical Description

1 photograph : col. ; 2816 x 2112 px.

Creation Information

Willis, T. Bradford 2012.

Context

This photograph is part of the collection entitled: T. B. Willis Photograph Collection and was provided by the Private Collection of T. B. Willis to The Portal to Texas History, a digital repository hosted by the UNT Libraries. It has been viewed 224 times, with 4 in the last month. More information about this photograph can be viewed below.

Who

People and organizations associated with either the creation of this photograph or its content.

Photographer

Audiences

Check out our Resources for Educators Site! We've identified this photograph as a primary source within our collections. Researchers, educators, and students may find this photograph useful in their work.

Provided By

Private Collection of T. B. Willis

The Private Collection of T. B. Willis consists of photographs of World War I Camp MacArthur, photographs of historic buildings across Texas, a collection of African-American photographs, and additional photograph albums which include those of his family who settled in Texas during the 19th century.

Contact Us

What

Descriptive information to help identify this photograph. Follow the links below to find similar items on the Portal.

Description

Photograph of Texas Historical Commission Marker for St. James Methodist Church in Waco, Texas. Text: One of Waco's oldest churches, St. James Methodist Church was organized in 1874 by Father Anderson Brack (d. 1905). From the first worship services, conducted in a house near the Brazos River that served as a school for the black community, the congregation built several sanctuaries before completing work on this building in 1924. Designed in a modified Gothic revival style, it features decorative brickwork, pointed arch windows, and octagonal towers. For over a century, the congregation of St. James has been active in missionary work, community service, and Christian education.

Physical Description

1 photograph : col. ; 2816 x 2112 px.

Language

Item Type

Identifier

Unique identifying numbers for this photograph in the Portal or other systems.

Collections

This photograph is part of the following collections of related materials.

T. B. Willis Photograph Collection

Materials from the private collection of T. B. Willis, including historical photographs, albums, documents, and items from the Willis family and extended relatives who settled in Waco in the 19th century.

Rescuing Texas History, 2013

The 2013 edition of Rescuing Texas History brings together thousands of items that reflect the history and preserve the legacy of the Texas of the past. They include photographs, letters, and more.

What responsibilities do I have when using this photograph?

When

Dates and time periods associated with this photograph.

Creation Date

  • 2012

Covered Time Period

Added to The Portal to Texas History

  • Sept. 14, 2014, 9:49 a.m.

Description Last Updated

  • Sept. 13, 2018, 7:34 p.m.

Usage Statistics

When was this photograph last used?

Yesterday: 1
Past 30 days: 4
Total Uses: 224

Where

Geographical information about where this photograph originated or about its content.

Map Information

  • map marker Place Name coordinates. (May be approximate.)
  • Repositioning map may be required for optimal printing.

Help Map this Photograph

Tell us if you know the precise location of this item. In the lower-left corner of map below, select either the pin () or the box (). Drop a pin or drag to create a new rectangle. Zoom and Pan the map as needed.

Mapped Locations

Interact With This Photograph

Here are some suggestions for what to do next.

Enlarge

International Image Interoperability Framework

IIF Logo

We support the IIIF Presentation API

Willis, T. Bradford. [Texas Historical Commission Marker: St. James Methodist Church], photograph, 2012; (https://texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth493977/: accessed September 19, 2020), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, https://texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Private Collection of T. B. Willis.