Journal of the Central Texas Conference, Fourth Annual Session, Methodist Episcopal Church South Page: 43
This periodical is part of the collection entitled: Where the West Begins: Capturing Fort Worth's Historic Treasures and was provided to The Portal to Texas History by the Archives of the Central Texas Conference United Methodist Church.
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
CENTRAL TEXAS C ONFERENCE JOURNAL
you," and before the father could object, the boy preach wat s
on his knees by the Vbeed. he did .no c sleep much that ngeht
because of the deep aunie--ty wi:h he felt for his fath, er. He
arose early the next lornin,, and wh lThen eni, e en t f hi- father's
room, his mother handed him the fam-ily Bible, He read a few
verses and talked from them, sang t',vo stanzas of :" charge to
keep I have," and then knelt Ywi-h his ie at e- hi fUather's bed-
side. Before the prayer vwa, ended, ts fa hier -iwas happily con-
Brother Brown was a close student ifr years. He took out a
four-year course of study in two years, it was not unusual for
him to study and pray all nigfct.
Our brother was a loyal Methodist preached. He believed
that the authorities of the Church v/ere ordained of God, and
that his appointments were ordered of the Lord. As a Presid-
ing Elder, he was efficient, and wYs faithful and true to his
preachers. He was self-sacrificing and unselfish in all that he
did. As a pastor, he was popular and wielded a wonderful
influence wherever he went On his first charge he purchased
a piece of ground, and established a camp ground, and it is
kept up to this day, and called Brown's camp ground. By the
end of his fourth year, he was known as a great revival preacher
and was sent for far and near to hold meetings. Moticallo,
Florida, built a great tabernacle and sent for him to held the
first camp meeting.
In the fifth year of his ministry, his wife's health having
failed, his friends advised him to seek a climate to suit her case.
The Bishop advised him to travel with Bishop Keener, and find
the proper climate, but having come to Texas in advance, he
found so many friends who had been relieved of asthma, he
decided that this was the place to which he should come. In
1872, he met Bishop Keener at Belton and was given work in the
Northwest Texas Conference. Calvert was his first appointment.
There, during his first year, he built a church and a parsonage.
While at Calvert he edited the Calvert paper, and published the
first agricultural magazine published in Texas, entitled "The
Farm and Home."
In 1873, the city of Calvert was visited by yellow fever. When
the scourge drove all other pastors and the Catholic Priest from
the town, Brother Brown remained at his post, visiting the sick
and burying the dead of all denominations. He was untiring
in his efforts, until he was stricken with the dread disease.
Even then, he was sent for, and until unable to leave his bed he
never refused to go.
He was once elected to the General Conference and served
While pastor in Waxahachie, Marvin College, located at that
place, was about to be sold, and was about to be purchased by
the Roman Catholics. Brother Brown sold his farm and other
property and bought it, to save the property to the Church. He
was president of the school for four years, and then sold it to
As nearly as we can learn, Brother Brown served the following
charges: The Whitney Charge of the South Georgia Confer-
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Periodical.
Methodist Episcopal Church, South. Journal of the Central Texas Conference, Fourth Annual Session, Methodist Episcopal Church South, periodical, November 1913; (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth49826/m1/43/?rotate=270: accessed July 25, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Archives of the Central Texas Conference United Methodist Church.