Restoration & Repair to Legation de France, Austin, Texas. For The Daughters of the Republic of Texas

Description

These are the blueprints of the restoration of the Legation de France, now the French Legation Museum maintained by the Daughters of the Republic of Texas. The architectural renderings were drawn in white on three sheets, each of which is labeled in part of the title box at the bottom of every page (in the lower right corner). The first page includes three drawings. The main drawing shows a floor plan of the building and is labeled: First Floor Plan. Scale 1/4:=1'-0". To the right, a tilted drawing shows the "Plot Plan" and a smaller drawing below is labeled: Column ...

Physical Description

8 technical drawings on 3 sheets : blueprint ; 42 x 57 cm.

Creation Information

Raiford Stripling Associates, Inc. November 1955.

Context

This artwork is part of the collection entitled: Rescuing Texas History, 2009 and was provided by French Legation Museum to The Portal to Texas History, a digital repository hosted by the UNT Libraries. It has been viewed 171 times , with 5 in the last month . More information about this work can be viewed below.

Who

People and organizations associated with either the creation of this artwork or its content.

Rights Holder

For guidance see Citations, Rights, Re-Use.

  • Unknown

Provided By

French Legation Museum

French Legation Museum collection documents the work of renowned preservation architect, Raiford Stripling. In the 1950s, Stripling was hired by the Daughters of the Republic of Texas to oversee the ongoing historic restoration of the Legation structure and planning for the historic site and its outbuildings. As the oldest existing home in Austin, the Legation and the Museum possess a unique and important history for Austin and Texas.

Contact Us

What

Descriptive information to help identify this artwork. Follow the links below to find similar items on the Portal.

Description

These are the blueprints of the restoration of the Legation de France, now the French Legation Museum maintained by the Daughters of the Republic of Texas. The architectural renderings were drawn in white on three sheets, each of which is labeled in part of the title box at the bottom of every page (in the lower right corner).

The first page includes three drawings. The main drawing shows a floor plan of the building and is labeled: First Floor Plan. Scale 1/4:=1'-0". To the right, a tilted drawing shows the "Plot Plan" and a smaller drawing below is labeled: Column Detail. Scale 3"=1'-0" The title box in the lower right corner includes a revision date (11-1-'55) and there is a stamp of a seal above the box. Also at the bottom of the page are two signatures granting approval for the project including Mrs. Barclay Megarity (text below, "For Owner: Mrs. Margaret Megarity) and Louis Runnels (text below, "Contractor: Louis Runnels).

The second page has only a single perspective and is labeled: Second Floor Plan. Scale 1/4"=1'-0".

The third sheet includes four different drawings. To the left, "East Elevation" at the top and "South Elevation" at the bottom, each with a scale of 1/4"=1'-0". To the right, a small drawing shows "F.S. Section, Rail" and the fourth drawing below it shows a cross-section, labeled: Section. Scale 1/4"=1'-0". The title box in the bottom right corner lists the revision date as 11-4-55.

Courtesy of Cushing Memorial Library and Archives, Texas A&M University

Physical Description

8 technical drawings on 3 sheets : blueprint ; 42 x 57 cm.

Language

Item Type

Identifier

Unique identifying numbers for this work in the Portal or other systems.

Collections

This work is part of the following collection of related materials.

Rescuing Texas History, 2009

Rescuing Texas History 2009, presents local history materials from sixteen partners: Arlington Public Library & Fielder House, Austin History Center, Bee County Historical Commission, Dallas Municipal Archives, El Paso Public Library, French Legation Museum, Matthews Land & Cattle Company, LBJ Museum of San Marcos, Northeast Lakeview College, Permian Basin Petroleum Museum, Library & Hall of Fame, Port Arthur Public Library, River Valley Pioneer Museum, Stephen F. Austin Association, University of Texas at San Antonio, and University of Houston-Victoria Library. Funding was provided by the Summerlee Foundation of Dallas.

What responsibilities do I have when using this artwork?

When

Dates and time periods associated with this artwork.

Creation Date

  • November 1955

Covered Time Period

Start & End Dates

  • November 1, 1955 - November 4, 1955

Added to The Portal to Texas History

  • Oct. 10, 2009, 2:51 p.m.

Description Last Updated

  • Nov. 10, 2009, 11:39 a.m.

Usage Statistics

When was this work last used?

Yesterday: 0
Past 30 days: 5
Total Uses: 171

Where

Geographical information about where this artwork originated or about its content.

Map Information

  • map marker Automatically generated Place Name coordinates.
  • Repositioning map may be required for optimal printing.

Mapped Locations

Interact With This Artwork

Here are some suggestions for what to do next.

Start Viewing

Citations, Rights, Re-Use

Raiford Stripling Associates, Inc. Restoration & Repair to Legation de France, Austin, Texas. For The Daughters of the Republic of Texas, artwork, November 1955; (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth49837/: accessed September 26, 2016), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting French Legation Museum.