Port Aransas South Jetty (Port Aransas, Tex.), Vol. 42, No. 21, Ed. 1 Thursday, May 23, 2013 Page: 2 of 110
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
2A Thursday, May 23, 2013
Hn The Island mis Week
Port Aransas South Jetti
Splash for half
Celebrate Memorial Day at
the Port Aransas Community
Pool and get in for half price
on Monday, May 27.
The pool, located at 700
Clark Blvd. off Ross Ave., will
be open from 1 to 6 p.m.
Admission to the pool will
be 50 cents for those ages
2-18 and those age 60 and
over, and $1 for people ages
19-59. Children under 2 are
admitted for free.
Please note that children
under 3 must wear a swim
For more information, call
the pool office at 749-2416.
• Port Aransas Community Park Swimming Pool, 700 Clark
Parkway: Open Tuesday-Saturday. Hours: Water exercise:
Tuesday, noon. Open swim: Tuesday-Thursday, 1-2 p.m., Fri. -
Sat., 1-5 p.m. Lap swim (shared time): Tues. and Thurs., 8:30
a.m. - 5 p.m. Lap swim only: Sat. noon - 1 p.m. Deep water
aerobics, Wed. - Fri., 1 p.m. Youth lessons, Tuesday-Friday
for 2 weeks each session, 9:40-10:20 a.m. or 10:30-11:10 a.m.
Private and semi-private lessons also available. Call Bonney at
the pool, 749-2416, for more information.
• Computer Center, Free e-mail. Monday - Friday, 10 a.m.-4
p.m.; Saturday 10 a.m.-2 p.m.; closed Sunday. Hours subject
to volunteer availability. 430 N. Alister St. 749-4011.
• Port Aransas Art Center: Classes, workshops. 749-7334.
• The University of Texas at Austin Marine Science Institute
(UTMSI) Visitors Center: Open Monday-Friday, 9 a.m.-5 p.m.
• Port Aransas Museum, Alister at Brundrett Street. 1-5 p.m.
Thursday - Saturday.
• Farley Boat Works, Ave. C near Cut-off Rd. 1-5 p.m. Thurs-
day - Saturday. Boat work done Tues.-Fri., 6 p.m.-?
• Trolley: 10 a.m.-5:55 p.m. Wave down anywhere along the
route from Roberts Point Park to Beach Access Rd 1A and
State Hwy. 361 South. Maps, schedules available at the Tourist
• Flexi-B bus service between Port Aransas and Corpus Christi
by appointment. Call City Hall, 749-4111 to make reservations.
Picks up passengers at 7:30 a.m. and 10 a.m. Mon. - Fri. and
at 10 a.m. Sat. Leaves Corpus Christi at 3:30 p.m. Mon. - Sat.
$1.25 each way. Del Mar and TAMU-CC students ride free.
• Alcoholics Anonymous open meeting, 7 p.m. Monday
through Sunday and noon Tuesday and Wednesday, Sharp
Pavilion behind Trinity-by-the-Sea Episcopal Church, 433
•Alcoholics Anonymous, noon, Monday through Friday. St. Jo-
seph Catholic Church parish hall, 100 Station St. Non-smoking.
• Theology on Tap, every Tuesday, 4 p.m. Beaches Cafe and
Bakery, 118 Beach St.
• Free Wetland Education Center tours, UTMSI, 10 a.m.
Tues., Thurs., Sat.
• Deep Water Aerobics, Port Aransas Community Park Swim-
ming Pool, 700 Clark Parkway: Tues. - Thurs., 1 p.m. $1.50.
• Pedaling at the Preserve. Every other Monday, 10 a.m.,
Nature Preserve at Charlie’s Pasture, 749-4158.
• Walk and Talk, 9 a.m..First and third Thursday, Nature Pre-
serve at Charlie’s Pasture, 749-4158.
• Rotary Club, noon Thurs., Pelican’s Landing Restaurant,
337 N. Alister St.
• Adult water exercise classes, 60 minutes, 8:30 a.m., 9:30
a.m. and noon, Tues.-Fri., community park swimming pool, 700
•Adult tennis, 7:30 a.m. Mon., Wed., Fri., and 7 p.m. Mon. and
Wed., PAISD courts on Station Street. Free, no partner needed.
Call Murray 749-4861 or 749-5131.
• Port Aransas Museum tours of the Little Chapel on the Hill,
first and third Friday and Saturday of each month at 9:15 a.m.
Call or visit the museum for reservations, 749-3800.
• Story Time, 10:30-11 a.m. Sat., Bill Ellis Memorial Library,
• Tot Time, Tues. - Wed., 9:30 a.m.., Girl Scout Hut, Tardy
attendees welcome. 749-4158.
• Adult Volleyball — adults interested in forming teams contact
Butch Findley, 749-5554.
• Birding on the Boardwalk, guided bird walk with Nan Dieted,
9 a.m., Wed. 749-4158.
• Friends of the Library, alternating Wednesdays at the library,
710 W. Ave. A, 6 p.m.
• Kiwanis Club, noon Wed., Seafood and Spaghetti Works,
710 State Hwy. 361.
• Project FREE Free, anonymous and confidential testing for
HIV, hepatitis-C, syphilis, gonorrhea and chlamydia, 10 a.m.,
first and third Tuesday of every month,JELM Center office,113
S. Alister St. Walk-ins O.K.
• VFW 8-Ball Pool Tournament, 7 p.m., Wed., VFW, 311 N.
• Free hot lunches, 12:30 p.m., Sun., Grace Community Church,
1801 S. 11th St.
• VFW meetings, 11 a.m., third Monday of month, VFW.
• VFW Ladies’ Auxiliary, 11 a.m., second Tuesday of month,
• VFW Shuffleboard Tournaments, 2 p.m. Wednesday, VFW.
• VFW Group Shuffleboard. Fridays, 2 p.m., Mondays, 7 p.m.,
• Aerobics, 8-9 a.m., Mon.-Wed.-Fri. JELM.
Thursday, May 23
• Free movie, 3 p.m., UTMSI Visitor Center, ‘First Flower,’ 56 min.*
• Port Aransas School District-wide Band Concert, 7 p.m., Port
Aransas High School gym. (See story Page 10A.)
Friday, May 24
• Registration begins for residents to sign up for swim lessons.
(See story this page.)
Saturday, May 25
• Energy Star Sales Tax Holiday. (See story Page 9A.)
Sunday, May 26
• Energy Star Sales Tax Holiday. (See story Page 9A.)
Monday, May 27
• Energy Star Sales Tax Holiday. (See story Page 9A.)
• Memorial Day Splash, 1-6 p.m., Port Aransas Community Park
pool. (See story this page.)
Tuesday, May 28
• Kiwanis Club Golf Ball Drop, 5 p.m., Port Aransas High
School. (See story this page:)
• Port Aransas High School scholarship ceremony, 6 p.m.,
Port Aransas High School Gym. (See story Page 10A.)
Wednesday, May 29
• Free movie, 3 p.m., UTMSI Visitor Center, ‘Attenborough’s Life
Stories: Our Fragile Planet,’ 52 mi
* Movies are subject to change without notice.
On the Horizon
May 31-June 1 CCA Take a Kid Fishing Tournament
June 14-15 Powder Puff Fishing Tournament
The Island agenda is free of charge to non-profit organizations
of Port Aransas for announcements of meetings and special
events. To list an event or meeting, call 749-5131 or e-mail
firstname.lastname@example.org BEFORE NOON MONDAY.
Staff photo by Dan Parker
Nathan McTigue of Port Aransas swims laps at the Port Aransas Community Pool Thursday,
Registration starts Friday
Registration for the first
session of summer swim
lessons begins Friday, May
24, for Port Aransas residents
only. Registration is at the
Port Aransas Community
Park swimming pool
anytime during pool hours.
The pool is at 700 Clark
Parkway off Ross Ave.
Nonresidents may register
starting Friday, May 31.
Session I will be Tuesdays
through Fridays for two
weeks, June 11-21. Two
classes are offered, 9:40-
10:20 a.m. or 10:30-11:10
Ages 6 months to 2 years
will have lessons only from
10:30 to 11:10 a.m.
Cost for Port Aransas
residents is $8 each child
per session. Cost for
nonresidents is $25 for each
child per session.
Registration for the second
session, which is Tuesdays
through Fridays, July 9-19,
will be on Friday, June 28, for
residents and Friday, July 5,
Registration for the
third session, which will
be Tuesdays through
Fridays, Aug. 6-16, will
begin Friday, July 26, for
residents and Friday, Aug. 2,
Golf ball drop set Tuesday
Tickets on sale now
Tickets for a chance to win
$1,000 at the Kiwanis Club’s
Golf Ball Drop are still on sale
for $10 each.
They may be purchased
at American Bank, 216 S.
Alister St., Coastal Creations
Hair Salon, 520 W. Cut-off
Rd., Suite 11; Gratitude, 316
N. Station St.,ValueBank, 500
S. Alister St. and from any
Kiwanis member or by e-mail
Tickets also may be
purchased at the Family
Center IGA from 8 a.m. until
Parks and Rec Roundup
Stuff to do and see
The following are upcoming events and activities sponsored
by the Port Aransas Parks and Recreation Department. For
more information or to register for events, call Pam Greene,
community program coordinator, at 749-4158 or e-mail
The date has been changed
to Thursday, May 23, for
the island fishing workshop
led by parks and recreation
grounds supervisor Mike
Meet McClure at 1 p.m.
on the beach near Horace
At each workshop, Mc-
Clure teaches participants
what to use, how to tie the
appropriate knots, where to
and where not to cast, which
bait to use for what area and
season and other tips for
fishing in Port Aransas.
Learn about the shells
and animals found along the
beach at a guided beach walk
on Friday, May 24.
Meet at 9 a.m. under the
purple pennant flag near
Horace Caldwell Pier to join
guide Shirley Fischer in the
hunt for shells and other
“treasures” along the beach.
Pedaling in the
Meet at the pavilion in the
Nature Preserve at Charlies
Pasture on Monday, May 27,
at 10 a.m. to take a leisurely
bike ride through the trails.
Participants may go at
their own pace for as long
or as short of a distance as
“Pedaling in the Preserve”
is a free event held the second
and fourth Monday of each
noon on Thursday, May 23.
Folks also may purchase a
chance to -spin a wheel for $1
and win a ticket by landing
on the American flag or the
Any remaining tickets will
be sold from 4 to 4:45 p.m. at
Port Aransas High School the
day of the event.
The drop, which helps
the Kiwanis Club provide
scholarships for graduating
Port Aransas seniors, works
like this: Numbered golf balls
will be dropped by the Port
Aransas Fire Department’s
hook and ladder truck on
Tuesday, May 28, at 5 p.m.,
just prior to the scholarship
awards ceremony at the high
Numbers on the balls will
correspond to the numbers on
each ticket. The ball that goes
into the regulation-size hole
below, or comes the closest
to the hole, will win the ticket
holder the grand prize.
Other prizes will be given
away including a beach
bonfire and seafood party
for 12 donated by Brio Beach
Weddings; dinner for two at
Jay’s Seafood and Spaghetti
Works; a $50 gift certificate
from La Barataria Restaurant
and two tickets to a play
of one’s choice at the Port
Aransas Community Theatre.
The grand prize money
was donated by Christensen
Construction, LLC and Island
South Jetty (USPS 946-020) I
published weekly. Pays perio<
icals postage at Port Aransa
Texas. Postmaster: Send a<
dress changes to: 141 W. Cotti
P.O. Box 1117 Port Aransas, '
is the Deadline to subr
advertising and news
publication in the folic
ing Thursday’s edition
Ad sales representative
Elizabeth K. Weaver
Advertising production chid/
Classified ad manac?MAd-
Mary Henkel Jjdson
De rise May Geode
dianne @ portasouth
Want to know about
Sign up for
You WILL GET AN E-MAIL
TELLING YOU A NEW, FREE
ACCESS STORY HAS BEEN
POSTED ONLINE BY THE
Want to submit a
Send it before
P.O. Box 1117
Port Aransas, TX 78373
Keep it to 300 words, in-
clude your name, mailing
address, daytime phone
number where you can be
reached. Only your name
and city of residence will
SHORTY'S • KODY’S * GIGGITY’S • SHORTY’S • KODY'S • GIGGITY’S • SHORTY’S » KOPY’S • GIGGITY’S
RESTAutenlilr e mmu
ifti the: flats wnpith live iwrusic
FRIDAY Ni&HT SATURDAY NIGHT SUNPAY 5-9 PM
Todd Porn Puster Mandyfcowden
£ The Sea Fritters Jiggs 9:30 PM Autom £ The All Stars
KITCHEN SERVES TIL 1 AM if PAILY SPECIALS
Full Hal seer %■ wine if Open tii am
Fresh Fish if Seafood if Steaks if Sandwiches if Pasta
722 Tarpon St, Port Aransas mX/K
OPEN EVERY PAY® 2 PM
Restaurant & Bar
Pruw Ribs M 1.95
Here’s what’s next.
This issue can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Newspaper.
Judson, Mary Henkel. Port Aransas South Jetty (Port Aransas, Tex.), Vol. 42, No. 21, Ed. 1 Thursday, May 23, 2013, newspaper, May 23, 2013; Port Aransas, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth505893/m1/2/: accessed November 20, 2018), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Ellis Memorial Library.