Historic plaque - Nolan County Metadata
Metadata describes a digital item, providing (if known) such information as creator, publisher, contents, size, relationship to other resources, and more. Metadata may also contain "preservation" components that help us to maintain the integrity of digital files over time.
- Main Title Historic plaque - Nolan County
Photographer: Belden, Dreanna L.Creator Type: Personal
- Creation: 2005-08-07
- Digitized: 2005-08-12
- Content Description: Photograph of a historic plaque in Sweetwater, Texas. It reads: "Nomadic Indians crossed this region before Anglo-American pioneers arrived here in the 1870s. The first settlers were buffalo hunters such as I. S. (Tuck) Focht, who later became a rancher and businessman, and cattlemen such as Confederate veteran John R. Lewis. Created in 1876, Nolan County was one of 54 counties carved from Bexar Territory. It was named for Philip Nolan (1771 - 1801), an Irish-born adventurer who came to Texas to capture wild horses and was killed in a skirmish with Spanish soldiers. Sweetwater, a small settlement that had grown up around a general store, was awarded the country's first post office in March 1879. It was also named the county seat when Nolan County was organized in January 1881. Sweetwater moved 2 miles northwest to its present location on the Texas & Pacific Rail Line in April 1881. It became an important rail center when the Kansas City, Mexico & Orient and later the Santa Fe Railroad also routed their track through the town. The economy of Nolan County is based on cattle and sheep ranching; cotton and feed grain crops; and gypsum, lime, and petroleum production. The population of the county increased from 640 in 1880 to 16,220 in the 1970 census. (1975)"
- Physical Description: 1 photograph : col.
- University of North Texas Libraries Browse Structure: Architecture - Monuments
- University of North Texas Libraries Browse Structure: Architecture - Landmarks - Historic Markers
- University of North Texas Libraries Browse Structure: Places - United States - Texas - Nolan County
- Named Person: Nolan, Philip
- University of North Texas Libraries Browse Structure: Business, Economics and Finance - Transportation - Railroads
- University of North Texas Libraries Browse Structure: Agriculture - Ranching
- Item is a Primary Source
- Place Name: United States - Texas - Nolan County - Sweetwater
- Time Period: mod-tim
- Coverage Date: 2005-08-07
- Place Point: north=32.4725756608101; east=-100.40798283832049;
Name: Photographing TexasCode: TP
Name: UNT LibrariesCode: UNT
- Accession or Local Control No: dscn1349