[Sutherlin Family Introduction] Page: 1 of 2
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
NOTES AND DOCUMENTS
Edgar Brown Sutherlin and his wife, Edith H. Wilson,
were married November 7, 1907, in Russellville, Indiana.
Their oldest daughter, Maurine (now Mrs. Ted McElroy of
Austin) was born in Culver, Indiana in 1908 where Ed worked
as a watchmaker and jeweler. The young family made their way
to the small community of Orange, Texas, in 1911, and, then,
in 1913, moved to booming Port Arthur. Ed opened a watch
shop in the rear of a local drug store and his career as a
jeweler thrived until his retirement in 1954.
Their second daughter, Clyda Waneta ( now Mrs. Chesley
Bowman of San Antonio) was born in 1914. Edith and the two
little girls went home to Indiana to visit the families in
August 1915 and it was during this time that the hurricane hit
and Ed wrote the graphic letters herein. Ed's older brother,
John, having tired of looking for gold in Colorado, and, also
being a watchmaker, had moved to Port Arthur and was living
with Ed and Edith.
In 1925 Ed and Edith had their third and last child,
a son - James Edgar of Port Arthur and husband of the compiler
of these letters.
Ed passed away in 1960, and Edith, 1968. Their children,
grandchildren and great-grandchildren are today enjoying the
legacy left by these two Hoosiers - who lived and loved every
minute of their time here on earth.
Here’s what’s next.
This text can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Tools / Downloads
Get a copy of this page or view the extracted text.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Text.
[Sutherlin Family Introduction], text, 1990~; (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth549680/m1/1/: accessed September 23, 2018), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Private Collection of the Sutherlin Family.