[Postcard of St. Michael's Church]

Description

Postcard of a church with a steeple and many cars parked in front. On the back, the following is added, "The oldest church edifice in the city of Charleston. The cornerstone of the Episcopal Church was laid in 1752, and in 1761, the church was opened for services. The type of architecture is according to the tradition of Sir Christopher Wren. St. Michael's is one of the few city Churches in America that has retained the original design where the service is to be heard and all the worshipers to participate. The clock and bells were imported from England in ... continued below

Physical Description

1 postcard : col. ; 14 x 9 cm

Creation Information

Charleston Post Card Co. & Ernest Ferguson Creation Date: Unknown.

Context

This postcard is part of the collection entitled: Texas History Collection and was provided by McFaddin-Ward House Museum to The Portal to Texas History, a digital repository hosted by the UNT Libraries. More information about this postcard can be viewed below.

Who

People and organizations associated with either the creation of this postcard or its content.

Distributor

Photographer

Audiences

Check out our Resources for Educators Site! We've identified this postcard as a primary source within our collections. Researchers, educators, and students may find this postcard useful in their work.

Provided By

McFaddin-Ward House Museum

The McFaddin-Ward House, built around 1905-1906 in the Beaux-Arts Colonial style, housed a prominent family in Beaumont for 75 years. The museum of the same name preserves the building and the artifacts, providing visitors with a firsthand glimpse of Southeast Texas History.

Contact Us

What

Descriptive information to help identify this postcard. Follow the links below to find similar items on the Portal.

Description

Postcard of a church with a steeple and many cars parked in front. On the back, the following is added, "The oldest church edifice in the city of Charleston. The cornerstone of the Episcopal Church was laid in 1752, and in 1761, the church was opened for services. The type of architecture is according to the tradition of Sir Christopher Wren. St. Michael's is one of the few city Churches in America that has retained the original design where the service is to be heard and all the worshipers to participate. The clock and bells were imported from England in 1764."

Physical Description

1 postcard : col. ; 14 x 9 cm

Language

Item Type

Identifier

Unique identifying numbers for this postcard in the Portal or other systems.

Collections

This postcard is part of the following collection of related materials.

Texas History Collection

Drawn from collections at the UNT Libraries and various partners, these materials about Texas history include artifacts, books, documents, manuscripts, photographs, maps, letters, and more.

What responsibilities do I have when using this postcard?

When

Dates and time periods associated with this postcard.

Dates

  • This postcard's creation, acceptance, or submission date is unknown.

Added to The The Portal to Texas History

  • Jan. 5, 2015, 9:43 p.m.

Description Last Updated

  • May 26, 2015, 4:35 p.m.

Usage Statistics

When was this postcard last used?

Yesterday: 0
Past 30 days: 0
Total Uses: 3

Where

Geographical information about where this postcard originated or about its content.

Map Information

  • map marker Automatically generated Place Name coordinates.
  • Repositioning map may be required for optimal printing.

Help Map this Postcard

Tell us if you know the precise location of this item. In the lower-left corner of map below, select either the pin () or the box (). Use the cross-hair to drop a pin or drag to create a new rectangle. You can zoom in, expand to full screen, change the terrain type, or in some cases switch to street-view so that it's easy for you to determine the coordinates.

Mapped Locations

Interact With This Postcard

Here are some suggestions for what to do next.

Start Viewing

International Image Interoperability Framework

IIF Logo

We support the IIIF Presentation API

Charleston Post Card Co. & Ernest Ferguson. [Postcard of St. Michael's Church], postcard, Date Unknown; (https://texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth562607/: accessed April 19, 2019), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, https://texashistory.unt.edu; crediting McFaddin-Ward House Museum.