History and Reminiscences of Denton County Page: 31
The following text was automatically extracted from the image on this page using optical character recognition software:
HISTORY OF DENTON COUNTY 31
THE FIRST MARRIAGE IN DENTON COUNTY
"Christmas, 1844, the Rev. Hammons officiated in the first
marriage in this county. The marriage took place near where
Doctor Gilbert now lives (1884) on his farm. The parties were
Shelton Luttrell and Bettie Dierce. He married them without
license and four years after I saw the same couple married over.
At that time they had two children in their arms. When
married the second time, it developed facts satisfactory that old
man Hammons was all right. In 1846 the Rev. John A. Free-
man came to this county. He was a missionary Baptist preacher
and a very liberal man, he was pastor six years. In 1852 and
1853 nearly all of this family connection moved and settled near
Alton. P. J. Holford lived on Denton Creek and some of the
Medlins lived near Elizabethtown.- A. G. King."
Mr. King was a very reputable man, hence his letters have
been quoted nearly in full.
Rev. J. A. Freeman, Baptist, was a great pioneer preacher.
He reorganized this Baptist church at Lonesome Dove on Denton
Creek in 1854 and continued its pastor until 1857. He then emi-
grated to California and organized a Baptist church, and is now
(1914) living. He is ninety-three years old.
The first church house of note was called the Holford
Prairie Hall. It was about midway of the prairie from east
to west and on the north side at a grove that extended out
into the prairie. The building was a two-story structure. The
Masons occupied the upper story. The lower was used for school
and church purposes. All denominations worshipped in it. Just
south of the Hall Uncle Andy Crews and family settled on Timber
Creek and established a blacksmith's shop. He was a splendid
smith and filled a great need at that time.
To the south, on Long Prairie the Presbyterians established
a church and camp ground; they called it Flower Mound. Every-
body was welcome and an annual camp meeting was held there
for about thirty years. It was composed principally of E. L. Lusk,
Rev. Newton Lusk, Sam Lusk, Matthew Cowen, Jim Cowen, Bob
Donald, Matthew Donald, George Beavers, and others and their
Here’s what’s next.
This book can be searched. Note: Results may vary based on the legibility of text within the document.
Citing and Sharing
Basic information for referencing this web page. We also provide extended guidance on usage rights, references, copying or embedding.
Reference the current page of this Book.
Bates, Ed. F. History and Reminiscences of Denton County, book, 1976; Denton, Texas. (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth61103/m1/49/: accessed June 22, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; .