Aerial View of Downtown Austin

Description

Austin High School (first campus - note semicircular part of building) on the top right of the Stephen F. Austin Hotel and to the top left of the St. David's Episcopal Church (top of Driskill Hotel). The roof top of St. Mary's Academy is noticible between Stephen F Austin Hotel and St. David's Episcopal Church. Left center on 7th Street and Lavaca two churches visible First Presbyterian Church (Original Site) on top and Cumberland Presbyterian on bottom (sold in 1955).

Physical Description

1 photograph : negative, b&w ; 4 x 5 in.

Creation Information

Douglass, Neal January 15, 1950.

Context

This photograph is part of the collection entitled: Rescuing Texas History, 2009 and one other and was provided by Austin History Center, Austin Public Library to The Portal to Texas History, a digital repository hosted by the UNT Libraries. It has been viewed 2717 times , with 91 in the last month . More information about this photograph can be viewed below.

Who

People and organizations associated with either the creation of this photograph or its content.

Photographer

Audiences

Check out our Resources for Educators Site! We've identified this photograph as a primary source within our collections. Researchers, educators, and students may find this photograph useful in their work.

Provided By

Austin History Center, Austin Public Library

As the local history division of the Austin Public Library, the Austin History Center collects and preserves information about local governments, businesses, residents, institutions, and neighborhoods so that generations to come will have access to Austin history.

Contact Us

What

Descriptive information to help identify this photograph. Follow the links below to find similar items on the Portal.

Description

Austin High School (first campus - note semicircular part of building) on the top right of the Stephen F. Austin Hotel and to the top left of the St. David's Episcopal Church (top of Driskill Hotel). The roof top of St. Mary's Academy is noticible between Stephen F Austin Hotel and St. David's Episcopal Church. Left center on 7th Street and Lavaca two churches visible First Presbyterian Church (Original Site) on top and Cumberland Presbyterian on bottom (sold in 1955).

Physical Description

1 photograph : negative, b&w ; 4 x 5 in.

Subjects

University of North Texas Libraries Browse Structure

Item Type

Identifier

Unique identifying numbers for this photograph in the Portal or other systems.

Collections

This photograph is part of the following collections of related materials.

Rescuing Texas History, 2009

Photographs, oral histories, artwork, letters, and more. These more than 5,000 items give a glimpse into the diverse people that have called Texas home over the years. Funding provided by the Summerlee Foundation.

Neal Douglass Photography Collection

Photojournalist Neal Douglass worked for Austin American-Statesman and had his own studio. These photos represent specific events, cultural aspects of life, former buildings and customs in Austin during the 20th century.

What responsibilities do I have when using this photograph?

When

Dates and time periods associated with this photograph.

Creation Date

  • January 15, 1950

Covered Time Period

Coverage Date

Added to The The Portal to Texas History

  • Dec. 6, 2009, 5:47 p.m.

Description Last Updated

  • Sept. 16, 2010, 12:44 p.m.

Usage Statistics

When was this photograph last used?

Yesterday: 2
Past 30 days: 91
Total Uses: 2,717

Where

Geographical information about where this photograph originated or about its content.

Map Information

  • map marker Automatically generated Place Name coordinates.
  • Repositioning map may be required for optimal printing.

Mapped Locations

Interact With This Photograph

Here are some suggestions for what to do next.

Enlarge

Citations, Rights, Re-Use

Douglass, Neal. Aerial View of Downtown Austin, photograph, January 15, 1950; (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth63090/: accessed June 25, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting Austin History Center, Austin Public Library.