[Old Juarez Post Office]

Description

Photograph of the Old Juarez Post Office. The old Juarez post office is the building immediately to the left hand side of this photograph. The building had endured severe damage due to the bullets and cannon shells that hit the post office during the Battle of Juarez. At the very end of this unpaved dirt street is the tower of the Customs House in downtown Ciudad Juarez. Between the post office and Customs House there is another building, also on the left hand side, that is clearly identified. The lettering on the side of that building clearly reads as: Farmacia ... continued below

Physical Description

1 photograph : b&w ; 5 x 7 in.

Creation Information

Aultman, Otis A. [1910..1920].

Context

This photograph is part of the collection entitled: Rescuing Texas History, 2009 and was provided by El Paso Public Library to The Portal to Texas History, a digital repository hosted by the UNT Libraries. It has been viewed 378 times , with 6 in the last month . More information about this photograph can be viewed below.

Who

People and organizations associated with either the creation of this photograph or its content.

Photographer

Audiences

Check out our Resources for Educators Site! We've identified this photograph as a primary source within our collections. Researchers, educators, and students may find this photograph useful in their work.

Provided By

El Paso Public Library

El Paso Public Library patrons can access valuable educational resources as well as government documents, photo archives, and much more. The Library also provides language learning classes and passport help, as well as a seed library to foster the community's green thumb.

Contact Us

What

Descriptive information to help identify this photograph. Follow the links below to find similar items on the Portal.

Description

Photograph of the Old Juarez Post Office. The old Juarez post office is the building immediately to the left hand side of this photograph. The building had endured severe damage due to the bullets and cannon shells that hit the post office during the Battle of Juarez. At the very end of this unpaved dirt street is the tower of the Customs House in downtown Ciudad Juarez. Between the post office and Customs House there is another building, also on the left hand side, that is clearly identified. The lettering on the side of that building clearly reads as: Farmacia Central (Central Pharmacy), Hernandez y Samaniego – Hernandez y Samaniego were the proprietors of the Farmacia Central.

Physical Description

1 photograph : b&w ; 5 x 7 in.

Language

Item Type

Identifier

Unique identifying numbers for this photograph in the Portal or other systems.

Collections

This photograph is part of the following collection of related materials.

Rescuing Texas History, 2009

Photographs, oral histories, artwork, letters, and more. These more than 5,000 items give a glimpse into the diverse people that have called Texas home over the years. Funding provided by the Summerlee Foundation.

What responsibilities do I have when using this photograph?

When

Dates and time periods associated with this photograph.

Creation Date

  • [1910..1920]

Covered Time Period

Start & End Dates

  • 1910~ - 1920~

Added to The The Portal to Texas History

  • Dec. 6, 2009, 7:38 p.m.

Description Last Updated

  • Oct. 30, 2013, 10:53 a.m.

Usage Statistics

When was this photograph last used?

Yesterday: 0
Past 30 days: 6
Total Uses: 378

Where

Geographical information about where this photograph originated or about its content.

Map Information

  • map marker Automatically generated Place Name coordinates.
  • Repositioning map may be required for optimal printing.

Mapped Locations

Interact With This Photograph

Here are some suggestions for what to do next.

Start Viewing

Citations, Rights, Re-Use

Aultman, Otis A. [Old Juarez Post Office], photograph, [1910..1920]; (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth63287/: accessed September 20, 2017), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; crediting El Paso Public Library.