Historic Plaque, Polk County Courthouse

Description

Photograph of a historic plaque in Livingston, Texas. It reads: "Polk County Courthouse. Completed in 1924, this is the fifth courthouse to serve Polk County. Citing "lack of space and modern conveniences," the commissioners court hired the Houston architectural firm of McLelland and Fink to design their new building. Contractor Isaac Young completed demolition of the 1884 Courthouse by July 1923, and the first court meetings were held in this building by the fall of 1924. Designed to include an auditorium, library, American Legion Hall and Post Office, which were replaced in later years by administrative and judicial offices, the ...

Physical Description

1 photograph : col.

Creation Information

Belden, Dreanna L. October 27, 2005.

Context

This photograph is part of the collection entitled: Photographing Texas and was provided by UNT Libraries to The Portal to Texas History, a digital repository hosted by the UNT Libraries. It has been viewed 120 times . More information about this photograph can be viewed below.

Who

People and organizations associated with either the creation of this photograph or its content.

Photographer

Rights Holder

For guidance see Citations, Rights, Re-Use.

  • Unknown

Audiences

Check out our Resources for Educators Site! We've identified this photograph as a primary source within our collections. Researchers, educators, and students may find this photograph useful in their work.

Provided By

UNT Libraries

Library facilities at the University of North Texas function as the nerve center for teaching and academic research. In addition to a major collection of electronic journals, books and databases, five campus facilities house just under six million cataloged holdings, including books, periodicals, maps, documents, microforms, audiovisual materials, music scores, full-text journals and books. A branch library is located at the University of North Texas Dallas Campus.

Contact Us

What

Descriptive information to help identify this photograph. Follow the links below to find similar items on the Portal.

Description

Photograph of a historic plaque in Livingston, Texas. It reads: "Polk County Courthouse. Completed in 1924, this is the fifth courthouse to serve Polk County. Citing "lack of space and modern conveniences," the commissioners court hired the Houston architectural firm of McLelland and Fink to design their new building. Contractor Isaac Young completed demolition of the 1884 Courthouse by July 1923, and the first court meetings were held in this building by the fall of 1924. Designed to include an auditorium, library, American Legion Hall and Post Office, which were replaced in later years by administrative and judicial offices, the Polk County Courthouse features classical revival styling with Beaux Arts influences. It stands as a significant part of Livingston's architectural heritage. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 2001."

Physical Description

1 photograph : col.

Language

Item Type

Identifier

Unique identifying numbers for this photograph in the Portal or other systems.

Collections

This photograph is part of the following collection of related materials.

Photographing Texas

Photographing Texas consists of modern-day images taken by our staff as they travel across Texas. Subjects include Texas scenery, wildlife, county courthouses, State Parks, National Parks, libraries, museums, historic sites, outdoor murals, architecture, monuments, and historic plaques -- a little bit of everything Texas!

What responsibilities do I have when using this photograph?

When

Dates and time periods associated with this photograph.

Creation Date

  • October 27, 2005

Covered Time Period

Coverage Date

Added to The Portal to Texas History

  • Nov. 15, 2005, 11:06 a.m.

Description Last Updated

  • July 19, 2013, 5:41 p.m.

Usage Statistics

When was this photograph last used?

Yesterday: 0
Past 30 days: 2
Total Uses: 120

Where

Geographical information about where this photograph originated or about its content.

Coordinates

  • 30.7081886417, -94.9332209217

Map Information

  • map marker Precise Place Name coordinates added by our staff.
  • map marker Automatically generated Place Name coordinates.
  • Repositioning map may be required for optimal printing.

Mapped Locations

Interact With This Photograph

Here are some suggestions for what to do next.

Enlarge

Citations, Rights, Re-Use

Belden, Dreanna L. Historic Plaque, Polk County Courthouse, photograph, October 27, 2005; (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth6616/: accessed October 1, 2016), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; .