Historic Plaque, San Augustine County Courthouse

Description

Photograph of a historic plaque in San Augustine, Texas. It reads: "San Augustine County Courthouse. When the town of San Augustine was platted in 1834, this property was reserved for the public square, but it was another 20 years before the first courthouse was constructed here. San Augustine was one of the 23 original counties established after Texas won independence from Mexico in 1836. Early courts were held in the Mansion Hotel, and by 1840, the county government operated out of the Federal Custom House. In 1854, San Augustine County built its first Courthouse on the public square. The subsequent ...

Physical Description

1 photograph : col.

Creation Information

Belden, Dreanna L. October 26, 2005.

Context

This photograph is part of the collection entitled: Photographing Texas and was provided by UNT Libraries to The Portal to Texas History, a digital repository hosted by the UNT Libraries. It has been viewed 142 times . More information about this photograph can be viewed below.

Who

People and organizations associated with either the creation of this photograph or its content.

Photographer

Rights Holder

For guidance see Citations, Rights, Re-Use.

  • Unknown

Audiences

Check out our Resources for Educators Site! We've identified this photograph as a primary source within our collections. Researchers, educators, and students may find this photograph useful in their work.

Provided By

UNT Libraries

Library facilities at the University of North Texas function as the nerve center for teaching and academic research. In addition to a major collection of electronic journals, books and databases, five campus facilities house just under six million cataloged holdings, including books, periodicals, maps, documents, microforms, audiovisual materials, music scores, full-text journals and books. A branch library is located at the University of North Texas Dallas Campus.

Contact Us

What

Descriptive information to help identify this photograph. Follow the links below to find similar items on the Portal.

Description

Photograph of a historic plaque in San Augustine, Texas. It reads: "San Augustine County Courthouse. When the town of San Augustine was platted in 1834, this property was reserved for the public square, but it was another 20 years before the first courthouse was constructed here. San Augustine was one of the 23 original counties established after Texas won independence from Mexico in 1836. Early courts were held in the Mansion Hotel, and by 1840, the county government operated out of the Federal Custom House. In 1854, San Augustine County built its first Courthouse on the public square. The subsequent Courthouse, an 1893 Italianate structure, was razed to make room for the current building. Completed in 1927, the third San Augustine County Courthouse is constructed of Texas Lueders Stone. It is symmetrical in plan with a prominent central entry bay and exhibits influences of the classical revival style of architecture. The County Commissioner Court, with County Judge Ed Kennon presiding, selected East Texas architect Shirley Simons as the designer and the firm of Campbell and White as the builders. Over the years, the square has been a gathering place for community and county events. Monuments placed on the grounds include a bronze statue of James Pinckney Henderson, first governor of the State of Texas and a resident of San Augustine, and a veterans memorial erected in 1951. The 1927 Courthouse stands as a center of politics and government for the people of San Augustine County and an important part of the city's 20th Century architectural heritage. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 2001."

Physical Description

1 photograph : col.

Language

Item Type

Identifier

Unique identifying numbers for this photograph in the Portal or other systems.

Collections

This photograph is part of the following collection of related materials.

Photographing Texas

Photographing Texas consists of modern-day images taken by our staff as they travel across Texas. Subjects include Texas scenery, wildlife, county courthouses, State Parks, National Parks, libraries, museums, historic sites, outdoor murals, architecture, monuments, and historic plaques -- a little bit of everything Texas!

What responsibilities do I have when using this photograph?

When

Dates and time periods associated with this photograph.

Creation Date

  • October 26, 2005

Covered Time Period

Coverage Date

Added to The Portal to Texas History

  • Nov. 14, 2005, 5:21 p.m.

Description Last Updated

  • July 19, 2013, 5:42 p.m.

Usage Statistics

When was this photograph last used?

Yesterday: 0
Past 30 days: 0
Total Uses: 142

Where

Geographical information about where this photograph originated or about its content.

Coordinates

  • 31.528383612, -94.1109166386

Map Information

  • map marker Precise Place Name coordinates added by our staff.
  • map marker Automatically generated Place Name coordinates.
  • Repositioning map may be required for optimal printing.

Mapped Locations

Interact With This Photograph

Here are some suggestions for what to do next.

Enlarge

Citations, Rights, Re-Use

Belden, Dreanna L. Historic Plaque, San Augustine County Courthouse, photograph, October 26, 2005; (texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth6637/: accessed August 25, 2016), University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, texashistory.unt.edu; .